Monday, April 13, 2020

With all the talk about opening up the economy, exactly what is shut down?

I'll start by stating I am concerned about every person struggling because of loss of job or reduction of hours because of this nasty pandemic.  And yes, I am acutely aware of the hardships of those working in many industries.  But I ask this both as a banker, who has many small businesses in his portfolio and a Catholic deacon who stays connected to many people for many reasons.

So my question is sincere, no sarcasm at all.  Any my lenses are colored by the circles and geography I travel.  Today, running many errands and having car work done I took note, as best I could, of what appears to be opened.  First of all my car dealership was open, a full sales force in the front and service appointments being made all day.  Almost every restaurant including fast food that I passed was touting their take home/to go business.  I'm sure some staff reductions here are possible.  Gas stations all open, convenience stores all open, sno-ball stands open, daiquiri shops, even they are open.  Grocery stores are packed, my pharmacy is rocking, my clothes are still being dry cleaned, cigarette joints are opened.  A lot of the businesses I deal with in the construction industry, dirt haulers, framers, painters, roofers, all open.  Attorneys and CPA's and insurance agents and RE agents, all opened.  I do know that barber shops, hair salons, nail places, bars, they are closed.  Gyms and personal trainers are impacted.  But I ask sincerely, what else is closed?  I really am seeking here!

I understand that things like hotels and motels are opened but struggling, tourist attractions really hurting, airlines struggling bad as well as rental cars for example.  Still I seek to know.  I plan on posting this also on FB page so please feel free to help me understand what else is closed.  And finally, know you are in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment