Friday, May 28, 2010

Letting God be God and wedding eve stuff

My family has arrived at the evening before our son's wedding; the 1st wedding for my wife and I. Today is the day of the rehersal and the rehersal dinner this evening that my wife and I will host. It's been a hectic day but everything is building for tomorrow.

Since our son lives 12 + hours from home any opportunity to visit with him is nice. As a father, what has been really nice on this trip is to see the outpouring of support for him, and his bride-to-be, from friends, clients and Sara's family. On most of our visits we do not get a chance to visit with his friends so this has been very nice.

What made today very poignant for me was a visit to the local Catholic Church right here in downtown Greensboro. It's a lunch time Mass and the crowd was more than respectable. I walked in early as parishioners prayed the Rosary and the Angelus as Fr. heard confessions. My prayer today is, of course, for my son Jimmy and my soon daughter-in-law Sara. As a Catholic Deacon I naturally want a Catholic wedding but it is not. I received some great advice from those who have been here, done this, and the bottom line is let God be God. My job is to love and support and to ask for God to be in control of all this. You never know how or when or why a reawakening of faith happens. I for one could never play the role of hypocrite as I too was far away from practicing faith in my life.

And as a father, I must say that I have every reason to be remarkably proud of my son, as I am too of my daughter, and the man he has become. Without a doubt, I believe that both he and Sara were created by God for each other and that they will nuture and foster each other all the days of their lives!

We always have a moral obligation to remain steadfast in sharing our faith, in our actions and words and in our own example. For now, I'm thrilled for both of them, looking forward to tonight and tomorrow and praying earnestly that they, like all of us, continue to find our way and find our faith.

To God be all the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment