Pope to Special Olympics: 'As you know, I too am very fond of sport'
By Deborah Castellano Lubov
“I entrust you to the intercession of Mary and of Saint Pier Giorgio Frassati, a young sportsman like you who, in love with Jesus, together with many friends, knew how to translate the values of sport into a good and generous life, into a holy life.”
Pope Leo XIV expressed this when receiving this morning in the Vatican the Italian athletes from the Special Olympics who took part in the 2025 Special Olympics World Winter Games in Turin.
The Special Olympics is an international organization that promotes sports for people with intellectual disabilities. It was founded in 1968 by Eunice Kennedy Shriver, the sister of U.S. President John F. Kennedy.
It operates in more than 190 countries and involves around 5 million athletes worldwide. Its official motto is: “Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”
'I too am very fond of sport'
The Holy Father began by expressing his joy at meeting with the delegation.
“As you know,” Pope Leo expressed to them, “I too am very fond of sport, and I am convinced of its great educational value, because it teaches people noble and authentic values.”
To take part in sport, the Holy Father recognized, means committing oneself seriously and working hard, and then sharing the fruits of one’s perseverance with loyalty, trust, openness, team spirit, and courage.
“Our world,” he said, “is greatly in need of people who, like you, remind everyone of the true values of life; of men and women who, through their example, show that the path of sharing and love is the only path that truly leads to happiness and peace.”
Sport is a 'universal language'
The Holy Father recalled that sport is one of those “universal languages” that transcends cultural, social, religious, and physical differences, and succeeds in bringing people together.
With this sentiment, the Pope thanked them for their presence, for the genuine joy they bring, and for the positive message they embody, while encouraging the athletes, coaches, officials, assistants, and collaborators to continue their work with enthusiasm.
Pope Leo XIV concluded by encouraging them to live holy lives and by imparting his Apostolic Blessing.

No comments:
Post a Comment