Saturday, December 21, 2019

Of vacations, sinus infections, impeachment and Advent

I hope everybody who reads me understands that it still is NOT Christmas as we navigate these last few days of Advent.  In fact, as we arrive at church for Mass this weekend there should be no Christmas decorations yet, no Christmas carols yet and a beautiful Gospel that tells us what we have to look forward to.  It is pretty darn close to Christmas, I'll give you that, but I love celebrating Advent for as long as Advent is with us.

Since my knee surgery was cancelled several weeks ago I was able to take a full week of vacation starting last Friday, the 13th.  What a nice opportunity to relax before Christmas action and also prepare, gift shopping and attend some extra church functions.  Well, best laid plans.  I awoke last Saturday sick, so much so that I was convinced it was the flu.  I remained so sick through the weekend that I actually missed out on even attending Mass let alone assisting as Deacon.  On Monday I ventured to the urgent care to get the diagnosis of a sinus infection.  It did hit me hard as it took until Thursday to feel able to leave the house.  I missed our parish Advent mission and even the annual Christmas party for the men at Rayburn.  That, for me is a heartbreaker.  What I did get to do, and this is not necessarily a good thing, I watched the whole impeachment debacle.  Despite all the tie, money and bluster, that impeachment thing is nothing more than what side are you on.  We have a country where 50% hate Trump passionately and 50% like and defend him no matter what.  All I know for now is the President stands impeached, well maybe depending on delivering articles to the Senate and a trial, we believe, awaits.  Trump will clear that hurdle and move on and then we can watch the national debacle that will be the 2020 election.

I guess the highlights for me, TV wise, as I lay sick was watching LSU's Joe Burrow win the Heisman Trophy and then watch the Saints destroy the Colts on another prime-time Drew Brees record setting performance.  At least we have the College Playoffs looming for us LSU fans and the Saints moving forward to the NFL playoffs.  Not too shabby for south Louisiana.

Today and tomorrow I will be preaching and I pray I can get through it without coughing up a lung.  I a still not 100% recovered but trying.  We will also enjoy our first family event for the upcoming Christmas season tomorrow at my daughter's house and a chance to see the baby!  And then comes Monday where I return to work after being so sick for vacation.  As we say all too often, it is what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment