Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Saints in our lives

It's important as Catholic that the lives of the Saints are included in our lives.  As we celebrate All Saints Day I wonder just how much focus we place on the Saints lives.  Of course it's important to properly understand the role of the Saints in Salvation history; both what it is and what it is not.  The Saints are not a replacement for God or a way to get to God without going through the Son, Jesus!  The Saints are friends and helpers who can intercede for us.  We would do well to call upon the Saints for help.

Every Catholic child used to be named for a Saint immediately at birth.  I can tell you that as a Deacon who does a lots of Baptisms, that does not seem to be the case these days.  That is sad.  For me, I'm named for St. Michael the Archangel and I love my Saint name.  My middle name is John and all my mom ever told me that John was an important name because he was the cousin of Jesus; mystery solved!

When I was confirmed some family rivalries led to me receiving two Saint names: Gerard, who my mother prayed through during her pregnancy for me and Casimir, whose feast day is both my birthday and that of my confirmation sponsor.  When I became ordained as a Permanent Deacon, I developed a strong connection with both Saints Stephen and Lawrence.  The Acts of the Apostles tells us that Stephen was among the very first seven deacons and Lawrence was renowned in Rome for being in service to the poor.  I was ordained on December 13th so that is the feast day of St. Lucy.  She gave her life, and her eyes for the faith.

I am very devoted also to Saint Jane de Chantal, the patron saint of my home parish.  She was a wonderful Catholic wife and mother, who eventually became a nun, founded a religious order and was a companion of St. Francis de Sales.  St. Jane also knew St, Vincent de Paul whose work among the neediest is legendary.

Some recent Saints I number among my favorites, Maximilian Kolbe, Padre Pio, Katherine Drexel, and of course Saints John XXIII and John Paul II! 

Now he is not a Saint yet but of particular devotion to my family is Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos!  His intercession is credited by the Vatican as the miracle that cured a family friend that we were all very close to, Ms. Angela Boudreaux.

And how many Saints I would love to mention and just forgot.  I follow the liturgical calendar everyday and a program from Catholic Online so I will know the many Saints of the Day.  For example, did you know that today is St. Wolfgang?

So let's understand honor due Saints and that worship alone is for God.  Let us ask all the Saints, on this All Saints Day, to intercede for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment