Sunday, June 1, 2014

Ascension Sunday in Greensboro (somebody forgot to tell the Priest)

Not being one of the dioceses that leaves the Ascension on a Thursday (40 days after Easter and where it belongs) I knew that Mass in Greensboro would be the Feast of the Ascension.  Apparently, the parish we visited had an older visiting Priest for the weekend and he admitted, good naturedly, that he prepared a homily for the 7th Sunday in Easter.  Oops!  Not to worry, he adapted well, and, of course, being a Priest for so many years of his life, he certainly knows all there is to know about the Ascension!


We attended Mass at St. Pius X in Greensboro, a church that somehow we have missed over these past 10 years of visiting our son.   Of great interest to me was the Permanent Deacon at Mass.  I noticed that he was wearing, under his vestments, a clerical shirt and a Roman collar.  We do not wear such clerics here in Archdiocese of New Orleans so I found out that in Greensboro, the Permanent Deacon can wear clerics at Mass and at specific assigned ministries.  Interesting side bar to my Mass participation today. 


From what I observed, and by reading the parish bulletin, this is yet another robust parish here in what once was the Bible-belt.  I have attached a link to their website at the end of this article.


So now my wife and I feel like we have 4 church homes away from home: Blessed Sacrament in Burlington NC, St Paul in Greensboro, Our Lady of Grace in Greensboro and now St. Pius X in Greensboro NC. 




http://www.stpiusxnc.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment