Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Heart monitors, daily Mass,Crawfish to die for and #1 grandson Calvin!

Yep, that sums up my Memorial Day.  Knowing my work week would be challenging, I opted to have all my medical tests done on a Monday morning, apparently, despite Memorial Day, a regular work day for the medical profession.  Some of you know that since my surgery, I have had a flare up of long-dormant mitral valve prolapse.  This heart condition, usually treatable with medication, can cause scary feeling arrhythmias and in my case, they certainly do.  So I had some tests run early yesterday morning, got equipped with a 48 hour heart monitor(yes, that means no shower until Wednesday).  I even had to do some blood work.  Quite frankly, I was very amazed at the number of folks like me having medical things done too.  As I said, holiday for some, for doctors, nurses and technicians, I guess just another Monday.


The proximity to the medical clinic allowed me to stop in at Mass yesterday morning at MHT.  I was to late to vest and assist and took it in from the pews.  I nice way to offer some prayers for myself, my wife's continued rehab and others facing their own challenges.  Fr. Rodney did a nice job weaving Memorial Day, the feast of St. Philip Neri and the Gospel of the Day into his daily homily.


Meanwhile, back at home, our friends Aimee & Keith were over, doing their usual thing and boiling up when heck of a mess of crawfish.  This was no ordinary crawfish boil because in addition to the mudbugs we added Brussels sprouts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, deer sausage, onions, mushrooms, garlic, oranges, and a whole pineapple.  Everything was so good.  For those of you who live far from me and have no idea what a crawfish boil is; I'm sorry, so, so sorry!


The afternoon was topped off with another great Skype session with Calvin, my #1 grandson!  What a joy that we get to see him grow up week after week despite 12 hours travel time between us.  But guess what, the abitadeacon is on his way to North Carolina soon, real soon!


So I arrive at a Tuesday morning on my way to work, heart monitor in tow and so very thankful to God, for, among many, many things, health, doctors and nurses, life, freedom, my faith, my country, good friends, awesome seafood and #1 grandson and all my family!  Thanks be to God for the gift of another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment