Thursday, November 28, 2013

And night descends on Thanksgiving Day

I'm very full and content as I look through the living room window at majestic dusk skies on this Thanksgiving Day.  Year after year these special days roll by with memories of past celebrations and hope of celebrations to come.  We reminisce about loved ones growing older or those who are no longer physically with us.  We can't believe how the young ones grow, some overnight into adulthood, while others come along and join our families.

Traditions last and others begin anew.  Turkey or ham, dressing or stuffing, pies or cakes.  We all are sitting around about now, stuffed, thankful for a short afternoon nap.  The football doesn't even have to be that great; yet we watch because we always did.  Today, I actually watched hours of Thanksgiving themed reruns of the Walton's.  I love that show; mostly because it reminds me of another time and calls to mind memories of my grandma and my mom, for some strange reason.

I began the day at Mass along with about 150 fellow Catholics at Most Holy Trinity.  On my way to Mass I passed right in front of my home parish, St. Jane de Chantal, and spied a full to the max parking lot of friends and neighbors.  At both of these parishes, God was worshipped and thanks was given.  At some point today, I am glad that most of us gave Him the thanksgiving!

So now what?  Tomorrow is a Friday; they call it black Friday because it's all out war just to save a buck or two for Christmas giving.  I guess going to work tomorrow, albeit it for only 4 hours, does not sound so bad when compared to retail shopping mayhem.  LSU will be playing a big football game; my daughter will be in that number at world famous "Death Valley".  This weekend brings more chores as we prepare for the 1st ever visit to our home of #1 grandson Calvin; now just 14 days away.  Sunday I will be in full Deacon mode with two Masses to assist at and a Baptism of a beautiful baby girl of good family friends!

I hope your Thanksgiving was memorable; filled with all you wanted it to be!  I hope you found plenty of time to include God in your holiday today and that we will remember to include Him in every day!  Advent starts Sunday; may we all begin to prepare for our remembrance of Jesus coming to us in flesh, to wash away our sins and open paradise for everlasting life!

No comments:

Post a Comment