Saturday, October 26, 2013

On Priesthood Sunday, I remember

This weekend is Priesthood Sunday and unfortunately, most Catholics will never know this.  Some parishes may embrace this, others may simply not know about it and in some cases, Pastors specifically and Priests in general don't like to call attention to themselves.  Of course we all can think of that occasional exception to the rule.

For many of us Catholics, we have never really stopped and thought about the importance of the Priest.  Quite simply: no Priest, no Eucharist.  No Priest, no Reconciliation. 

I hope you have fond memories of Priests.  For me, I lived right next door to a parish rectory.  It was not unusual to look out my bedroom window and see a Priest, cassock and all, walking the property either praying his breviary or reciting the Rosary.  These Priests were Marists who were assigned to several of the parishes in the Algiers community of New Orleans.  The first  Priest I remember well was saintly Fr. Templeton.  Apparently long before I even came along, he helped my family through some difficult times and was well regarded by my grandmother.  He indeed baptized me and as I grew older I have memories of good Fr. Templeton having dinner at our home often.

The next real impactful Priest in my life was Fr. Francis Hannigan.  He too was a Marist and lived next door.  He took a real interest in me as he learned I had no dad and loved baseball.  He loved baseball too and often I watched many a All-Star game or World Series with good Fr. Hannigan.  When in high school I won a local speech contest, he personally recruited me to be a lector.  At 15, there I was lecturing along with all the adults.  Fr. Hannigan also took an interest in my girlfriend from high school and would eventually lead her in RCIA classes, oversee her profession into the Catholic faith, witness our marriage and baptize our first child.  He was a positive presence in my life for many, many years.  I still cringe today that for some unknown reason I was unable to speak at a remembrance service upon his death.  He was a good and holy man and such a great influence in my life!

The next really great experience I had with a Priest would be my first encounter with a Benedictine monk.  Fr. William McCandless was the pastor at the local church in Abita Springs.  He would be the first Priest I went to confession in many years.  His generous words and welcoming me "home", as he put it was the catalyst to my fervent return to the Catholic Church.  Under his influence, I became remarkably active in all aspects of parish life and became involved with the parish council, finance committee and Grand Knight of the local KC Council.  One day, the good monk casually but intentionally mentioned to me the diaconate.  I had no real idea, but two years later I was inquiring about the possibility of a vocation.

When Fr. William returned to the Benedictine Abbey we were introduced to Fr. Robert Cavalier, the first archdiocesan pastor in the history of St. Jane Parish.  His arrival coincided with my letter of acceptance from the Archbishop to begin formal aspirancy and eventually formation to become a Permanent Deacon.  Fr. Robert was my local guidance through many years of formation and I eventually became a Deacon assigned back to him when I was sent home to St. Jane's.  He would also guide me through the difficult transition to being moved to a neighboring parish.  Fr. Robert also played a major role in helping me and my family during my mom's passing.

Fast forward to today where I serve at Most Holy Trinity now under the leadership of Fr. Rodney Bourg.  He is currently overseeing the beginning of the construction of our new church and family life center.  At MHT we are also helped by Fr. Dean Robbins who can balance a good joke with a powerful homily all in 10 minutes.

During formation I was blessed to meet many Priests who would avail themselves to help us along our journey.  At the prison where I minister I too have been blessed by the help of many Priests, most notably Fr. Pat Collum who gives two nights a month to bring Mass and Reconciliation to the inmates.

I hope you too will have some time this weekend, or in the week ahead, to reflect and remember those Priests in your life.  Can we all join together and pray for our Priests on this Priesthood Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment