Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pope Francis in service to those in jail on Holy Thursday

Pope Francis' Holy Thursday Homily at Casal del Marmo Juvenile Detention Center 

Rome, (Zenit.org)   

Here is the translation of Pope' Francis homily for the "In Coena Domini" Mass celebrated at the Casal del Marmo Juvenile Detention Center.

* * *
This is moving: Jesus who washes the feet of his disciples, Peter did not understand anything and refused but Jesus explained to him.
Jesus, God, has done this and he himself explains to the disciples, “Do you realize what I have done for you? You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’ and rightly so, for indeed I am. If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet” I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do.” (Jn. 13, 12-15)
This is the example of the Lord, he is the most important and he washes their feet because among us, he who is greatest should be at the service of others and this is a symbol and a sign.
To wash the feet means ‘I am at your service’ and also us, among us, its not that we have to wash everyone’s feet everyday, but what does this mean? That we should help each other, [to help] one another. There are sometimes where I am a little angry with one, with another, and well, forget it and if they ask you for a favor, do it.
To help each other; this is what Jesus teaches us and this what I [will] do, I do it from the heart because it is my duty, as a priest and as a bishop, to be at your service. It is a duty that comes from my heart, I love it. I love it and I love doing it because the Lord has taught me so, but you must also help each other. Always help each other, the one for the other and in helping each other, we will do good.
And now we will do this ceremony of washing the feet, and we must think. Each one of us must think, ‘Am I really willing to help the other?’ Think only of that and think that this sign is a caress of Jesus, because Jesus came specifically for this: to serve, to help us.”
[Translation by Junno Arocho Esteves]

No comments:

Post a Comment