Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Who's that knocking on my door: Isaac




I have always appreciated my readership on this blog as I journey along in all things.  My life is truly shaped by my 2008 ordination as a Permanent Deacon but most of you know, even Deacons have their own lives.  Part of who I am is a Louisiana resident, born and raised.  I have never lived anywhere else.  I truly am a New Orleanian that remained in the greater metro area but now live about 50 miles north in Abita Springs. 

Part of that existence here includes dealing with hurricanes.  The first one I remember as a young boy was Hurricane Betsy.  She hit in September of 1965 and I was but 8 years old.  I remember me and my family trying to ride it out at our home but sometime after midnight the roof buckled and we made the decision to evacuate in the stormy weather.  As a child I was scared to death.  We only drove 2 blocks to the neighborhood school but all I remember was the wind was howling and the rain stinging as we walked calmly to the car.  The next morning we saw the damage and we would be several weeks before we returned to that old house.

Just 4 years later we were told to brace for an even bigger storm.  Her name would be Camille.  If Betsy was bad, Camille would be bad squared.  This time we most definitely evacuated.  But Camille shifted ever so slightly and went in to our east along the Mississippi Gulf Coast with devastating results.  I remember the saying all the adults were using; we dodge a bullet.

There would be many other close calls and evacuations and storm stories.  I remember spending an entire Labor Day weekend with our newborn son at the in-laws as we awaiting a storm who's name escapes me now.  When my children we older, we waited out the arrival of Andrew which went to the west and slammed Lafayette and Morgan City. 

After I moved my family to the Northshore we had big scares in the late 90's most especially from a storm named Georges.  Then came the most amazing storm event of my life, Katrina.  We were gonna ride her out since we live so far north of New Orleans and the Lake known as Pontchartrain.  No way could this storm hurt us so the decision was made.  Then came the reports that Katrina was a Category 5; winds were exceeding 175 mph.  We decided to go.  First we traveled to north Alabama, then we kept going all the way to my son's house in North Carolina.  Little did we know.  While my house was sparred major damage, the Northshore was devastated by excessive tree damage and that led to long power outages.  We were without power for 4 full weeks.  Thanks to a generator, purchased in North Carolina, we were able to live in the house til the power came back on.  Meanwhile, the devastation and loss of life in New Orleans was heartbreaking, especially with the onset of so much chaos in the Crescent City.  I said then and I will say it again; I never want another Katrina experience ever!

Since Katrina there has been Rita and Gustav and Lee and now today Isaac.  The picture above is that of Isaac earlier today.  As I sit here and write we are experiencing occasional gusts, I would guess up to 40 mph or so, some rain and the ever present reminder that this will get worse later today and into tonight.  We will most probably lose power sometime between this evening and early morning.  Will it be for a long time?  Only time will tell.  We will experience gustier wind and may have a long period of persisitent wind in the 50-75 mph with heavy rain.  Predictions call for this to occur for a period of 12-15 hours non-stop.

Today my wife and I finished our preps.  All the stuff in the yard is picked up, gas is on hand for the generator, water is plentiful, horses are fed and we are trying to get all the things done that require power now like washing clothes and taking showers.  We wll probably be up by Friday.  Right now the air is cooled by the wind, the trees are making a nice rustling noise because it's not yet severe and everything is wait, and wait and wait.  Prayers are for all of us to ride this out with no loss of life or serious property damage.  We hope for the best.

Isaac is knocking on my door; I just wish he would go away!

No comments:

Post a Comment