Wednesday, August 29, 2012

An Isaac update as this storm just won't go away

I'm still dealing with Isaac.  For me and the wife the heavy winds and rain began around 2 p.m. yesterday afternoon, we hunkered down and made it through the night even with no loss of power.  Today, with daylight, brought more of the same; squalls, wind, driving rain.  At 3 p.m. we lost power and while expected it is a demoralizing feeling, especially when you know it may be days without power.  My wife and I drug out the generator and after a few hiccups, we got it running and were ready to settle in for a night without a/c but at least fans and lights.  Then almost miraculously, the power restored about 5 minutes after I hooked up the generator.  Thanks goodness I saw a neighbors facebook posting or I would never have known.  So off I went to undue the generator and flip the master breaker and so far so good for 2 hours.  But the storm is still churning and I am dealing still with heavy wind gusts and persistent rain.  My saga is nothing compared to my many neighbors throughout southeast Louisiana.

The main heartbreaking stories are coming from Braithwaite in Plaquemines Parish to our far south where a levee breach flooded almost every home near Hwy 39 and the Mississippi River.  Then we heard of the unexpected flooding in the Laplace community in St, John the Baptist Parish to the west.  Laplace is not far from Lake Pontchartrain when unrelentless winds blowing the right way from a hurricane come for a visit.  The final area really impacted tonight is southern St. Tammany Parish which is the civil parish in which I live.  Many miles to the south of my house waters from Lake Pontchartrain have flooded Slidell, Mandeville and Madisonville.  The Madisonville event actually necessitated rescue efforts as did the Braithwaite and Laplace even as well. 

I am literally heartbroken for those who needed to be rescues or lost their homes to flooding today as these good people endured this before, in Katrina.  And as you know by now, today is the anniversary of Katrina.

A lot of things went well today too.  The new flood controls to protect New Orleans worked although a bigger storm will be a more accurate test.  Major areas of New Orleans will be up and running as soon as the weather gets out of here.

As we recover from Isaac can we pray that Louisiana be left alone for a long time.  I say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment