Sunday, July 29, 2012

Some Summer Sunday Night Thoughts

This last Sunday in July would normally be quiet, uneventful and just another opportunity to comment on the brutal summer heat.  Actually, it is fairly quiet and the heat, at least today, was brutal.  The last few weeks have actually been very wet and that keeps the heat below triple digits.  The fact that tomorrow marks the beginning of my 4th week on the new job and that the Summer Olympics are on the TV to keep me entertained means things are at least eventful.

In just 2 days time we will indeed say goodbye to July and hello August.  As is well documented in many previous posts, August is my least favorite month of the year.  August is still a raw memory for many in these parts because it was late August 2005 when we were introduced to Hurricane Katrina.  With each passing year the memories fade just a bit, but each new August always means we cast our eyes to the waters of the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.  We always have to wonder what August, and September for that matter, will bring us.  There are some exciting times in August; the Saints are preparing for their 1st pre-season game in just one week, we do have the Olympics to keep us entertained until the 12th and down in these parts, the kids go back to school.  They go back early.  I think some school districts start as early as August 9th or 10th.  It just seems too early to me.

Since these are just my thoughts tonight I am thinking about a few other things.  Today, at Most Holy Trinity, we said goodbye to our summer intern, a seminarian from the Archdiocese of New Orleans.  He has assisted the parish with many programs and projects this summer and assisted at mass.  Today he said farewell and addressed each Mass describing his journey and making a pitch for religious vocations.  Remember just last week I wrote about the realization that here in America we currently rely on vocations from other nations because we have too few of our own.  Thankfully, recent trends are showing signs of great hope.

Another major part of my weekend was the short, albeit nice, visits I had with our 2012 Deacon candidates on their pre-ordination retreat.  Now back home, these men must focus on the body of work left to complete over the next four months.  On December 1st they will be ordained as Permanent Deacons, God willing.  They actually begin classes in just a week or so.

My point tonight to my summer Sunday randomness; keep looking ahead.  Live in the moment, yes.  But in the weeks ahead, even if it be August, there is much to do and it all requires our constant walk with God.  In the week that just passed, I can honestly say that I felt His presence in the big events like prison ministry, adult faith meetings, counseling a couple to be married soon, and in the mere normalcy of going to work, learning the new business, cutting the grass, hanging out at home.

Seriously, whenever I reach that place where I know I'm totally surrendered to God's will, the Mondays wont be differennt from the Fridays and the Augusts of my life will just be another month.

No comments:

Post a Comment