Thursday, September 29, 2011

From living Saint to a Saint now in Heaven: Archbishop Philip M Hannan

I can not leave for work this morning without personally reflecting on the life of Archbishop Phillip M. Hannan.  This morning he passes away peacefully, in his sleep, at the age of 98.  He was truly a great Sheperd of the people, arriving here in the turmoil and aftermath of Hurricane Betsy.  And he served faithfully for 24 years, a great leader for not only the Catholic Church but the City of New Orleans.  Archbishop Phillip M. Hannan hosted Pope John Paul II in 1987, one of the great moments in the history of Catholic New Orleans.

I remember him as a young child as he led the Archdiocese and sometimes he would visit the local parish, primarily for school events and confirmations.

And then much later in life I was thrilled when the Archbishop began celebrating Mass every Saturday at my home parish in Abita Springs.  You see the Archbishop, after riding out Hurricane Katrina at his own TV station headquarters, alone, relocated to the Northshore.  First as an acolyte and then as a Deacon, I had the high honor of assiting him at several Masses.  And I will never forget that at my ordination, at the age of 95, he was there on the altar, concelebrating the Mass.

Time prevents me from sharing much more as off to work I must go.  But I am thankful for the life of Archbishop Phillip M. Hannan and praying for him, on this his day of returning to the Father.  I met a living Saint in my life, now I believe he is a Saint in the kingdom of Heaven.

Rest in Peace, Archbishop Phillip M. Hannan, 1913-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment