Sunday, March 20, 2011

A weekend in jail and lives changed

I served my second Kairos retreat at the Rayburn Prison this weekend. My first experience was last March and I invite you to read that post. At that time I counted that first Kairos weekend as one of the most profound weekends of my life. I now have another profound weekend. My second Kairos started a day late for me as a work comittment prevented me from going in Thursday night. I joined the team early Friday morning; 6 a.m. to be exact, and we were in the prison by 7 a.m. I soon met my table mates, we were assigned the team name of St. Paul, and we all settled in for 3 full days of talks, prayers, sharing and wonderful singing.

This year I was happy to lead a prayer service on 3 encounters with Christ and I also gave a talk entitled You are not Alone! But mine was just one of many conributions to this weekend. What really mattered was the 35 participating inmates in their own unique ways came closer to Christ. Some made an outright profession of faith, others asked to accept Jesus in a personal relationship and others promised to work on their journey of faith. All agreed to work very hard on forgiveness and many forgave themselves and those people in their lives they harbored ill will.

I indeed love to support this Kairos retreat; this ministry. It is a nondenominational effort and our team is made up of many strong and dedicated Christians. As a Catholic Deacon I heartily embrace my participation and my belief that more of my Catholic brothers should consider the Kairos experience. During all Kairos events we simply talk about God the Father, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, love and forgiveness. Once these men accept Chirst, they are free to work on their spirituality and their own personal walk of faith.

On Wednesday nights at Rayburn everyone knows that Deacon Mike is their to conduct his ministry for the Catholic community, known as the St. Peter's Catholic Community at Rayburn Correctional Center. I always check in with and visit my Kairos brothers too on Wednesday nights as they conduct small group prayer and share meetings. What a joy that every sqaure foot of that beautiful chapel is being used on Wednesday nights to preach Christ!

The Kairos weekend is long and demanding; so is discipleship and friendship with Christ. I may be tired, but I am so spiritually uplifted.

By the way, one of the nice fringe benefits of a Kairos weekend is to see the men enjoy really good food. I have learned a thing or two about prison food; it's not so good. And it lacks "fresh". When you see pure joy on a man's face because he is devouring a fresh banana or a salad with lunch or real butter for his baked potato; well, you get the point.

And the most moving part of a Kairos weekend; the beautiful cards and letters the men receive, especially from children who send wishes and prayers from their Sunday school class, CCD programs or youth groups. Almost 100% certain their will be no dry eyes in the chapel.

I wish to thnak the many folks who supported my participation in Kairos this weekend. I had dozens of people prepare cookies, dozens who prayed at designated times over the weekend and many others who made generous financial contributions. God blesses your heartfelt efforts and you have fulfilled the command of Jesus in Matthew 25; I was in prison and you visited me!

1 comment: