Saturday, October 16, 2010

1st Wedding and a beautiful memory

Today I officiated at the exchange of vows between two great young people. As a Catholic Deacon, although participating in several weddings, this was the first as the officiant. It will be one of those special moments about being a Deacon that I can't possibly forget.

The couple spent several evenings with me earlier this year in preparing for their life together as husband and wife. The bride is a young lady that I've known for many years; even taught her in my 8th grade CCD class. The groom I've only come to know because of his relationship with the bride. As a couple, I've come to know them and impressed by their level of love and devotion to one another and their desire to have a sacramental marriage.

In my brief homily today I spoke of the creation by God of a husband and wife for each other; even to the point of helping each other out along the way in this life towards our ultimate goal of eternal life with God. I gently reminded them of always remembering that Jesus is at the center of their lives and should remain so forever.

And then the exchange of vows and the rings and a new life as man and wife begins.

For the Permanent Deacon the opportunity to officiate at a wedding is one that we bring both our sacramental experience of Holy Orders and Matrimony to the service of the newlywed couple. As one who has experienced both sacraments I was keenly aware today and in the preparation process of my need to be both an ordained minister and an example of a husband who has been blessed with a wonderful wife for 33 years.

So tonight I'm feeling very blessed for the wonderful opportunity to be a part of such a special day. And my prayer is for a lifetime of happiness for the newlyweds with Jesus at the center of their married life.

No comments:

Post a Comment