Sunday, July 25, 2010

yesterday, today and forever...

The theme I adopted for my life as an ordained minister is from Hebrews 13:8:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

I became more familiar with this verse of Scripture while watching an amazing story about a family who was caring for their loved one who was injured beyond recognition in a terrible highway accident involving a college ladies sports team. Some of the team were killed; others injured including this young lady who was unrecognizable. Over time the family that stayed at her bedside began to realize that this was not their daughter. Some how in the tragedy and turmoil of this sad event another tragedy was about to be played out. One family, who already grieved the loss of their loved one now had to come to grips with the news that she was alive; critical but alive. And this other family, who patiently and dutifully and prayerfully stayed at the bedside of the young lady they believed was their own now faced the realization that their loved one was dead.

The sister of the dead girl wrote in her diary that day of the tragic circumstances of this whole ordeal and the family needing to begin the grieving process. But she ended with this wonderful verse from Hebrews as her personal testimony that God is still the Lord of their lives, even in this most tragic of circumstances.

For me, Hebrews 13:8 is my reminder to always place Jesus as the center of my life, at all times and in all situations. This has been vivid for me over the past 2 weeks.

My wife and her sister have been at the bedside of their mom for 10 days now after she was hospitalized for pneumonia, lung infection and a seriously irratic heart rythym. My mother-in-law has endured two shock treatments, an angiogram and more on the road we hope leads to recovery.

When a loved one takes seriously ill many miles and hours from home it can be an ordeal on the family. Both my wife and sister-in-law never expected to be gone for anything more than a weekend yet circumstances caused a change in plans. There has been better news these last few days so I am hopeful that a full recovery is soon to be realized. And perhaps somewhat selfishly, I am anxious to have my family back together under one roof.

In the week ahead my daughter returns from 6 weeks studying in Eurpoe. What a blessing it will be if both my girls could be home at the same time.

We all deal with life as it comes to us. I have been so blessed and encouraged by so many people; loved ones and good friends who have prayed for my family and for my mother-in-laws recovery. And other friends have come to my aid, perhaps mindful that I'm alone and still have ministry and work to do while our family deals with this situation, to feed me, help me with the upkeep of my property and just check in with me! It has been so uplifting and reminds me everyday that "Christ-like" is a reality in the people God places in our lives!

So to everyone thank you. Remember the scripture I've taken to heart and use it from time to time. For even in these past few difficult days, I am uplifted when I pray:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. Heb 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment