Friday, July 16, 2010

A quiet summer Friday evening

I'm not used to lots of quiet. And the circumstances of my quiet tonight are of some concern. Yet here I am tonight, alone, quiet and spending my evening preparing for a big weekend serving the Church as a minister. Tonight I spent some time preparing a homily, reading some prayers and dealing with quiet.

Life always keeps coming at you. Tonight my daugter continues her studies and travels in Europe while my wife ventures to Texas to check up on her mom who is sick. I would be most appreciative of prayers for my mother-in-law who is recovering from a week long illness. So tonight its just me and my dogs and the homiletic books and my prayer book. And I will read some Scripture tonight; as always IN context!

In the days ahead I am tasked with the opportunity to preach 3 masses, including two at a neighboring parish where I have been helping out one weekend a month. I also hope to visit an altar server picnic and spend some time with good friends who always come to my rescue when I get overwhelmed with stuff. Next week will bring some new opportunities for ministry and I am looking forward to another discernment gathering for the 50 + couples exploring the possibility of a vocation to the diaconate.

So for the rest of this evening I'll embrace the quiet, say some prayers; much needed prayers and move into the weekend before us.

I trust you too can enjoy some quiet and give all to Him who strengthens us!

The scripture verse I came across tonight that is great peace:

"count it pure joy when you are involved in every sort of trial. Realize that when your faith is tested this makes for endurance. Let endurance come to its perfection so that you may be fully mature and lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment