Sunday, March 21, 2010

Two weekends in a row; God is good

Last Sunday night I sat at this computer exhausted but so fulfilled as I completed a 4 day weekend retreat at the Rayburn prison. Yes, it took a lot out of me becuase the 4 days were demanding. But more importantly, it was an amazing movement of God and an event I will never forget.

Tonight, late Sunday, I sit here equally exhausted and equally fulfilled. In back to back evenings, my home parish of St. Jane's saw overflowing crowds in the church. Saturday night we rededicated our sanctuary. Renovations of ten new stained glass windows and a new altar, ambo and tabernacle were celebrated with all the beauty and dignity of a rich Catholic liturgy. Our new Archbishop, Gregory Aymond presided and consecrated the new altar with sacred chrism and blessed the windows and tabernacle. The Mass was an awesome worship of God with my 3 fellow Deacons and both our parish Priests celebrating with the Archbishop. Close to 400 folks crowded into our beautiful little Church that comfortably seats 300. After the Mass we all went to the hall for a dinner provided by the Parish and our Knights of Columbus where over 200 attended. What a night. In another post I may elaborate on the wonderful stain glass windows in our Church.

Then there was tonight. A Priest visiting from Rwanda presided and then conducted a beautiful healing service, with Adoration and Benediction. Over a dozen people came forward to claim a physical healing from the power of the Eucharistic Jesus. Again, well over 300 atttended tonight. A special surprise was the attendance of the amazing Immaculee' Ilibigiza, the young Rwandan woman who wrote so eloquently of the genocide and her story of survival, fortified by her Catholic faith.

These two back to back nights speak volumes of the active faith life of the Catholic Church in the small town of Abita Springs, LA.

And these two events were just but two of my many events this weekend. I was so honored to preside at the renewal of vows for the 25th anniversary of good friends today as well as attended a Mass of thanksgiving in New Orleans for the parish that hosted 4 formation classes after Katrina. Without their offer to host us after the storm, formation of Permanent Deacons in New Orleans may have been placed on hold. I was honored to proclaim the Gospel this morning at the Mass.

So here I am, tired and worn out but remarkably invigorated fulfilled and praising God for His many blessings in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment