Thursday, March 25, 2010

No two visits are alike

The last time I visited the Rayburn Prison facility I was part of a large 35 person ecumenical team conducting a retreat. On the last day of the retreat I found myself in the cell block ministering to those locked down in tiny cells, behind bars. Just a few weeks ago, I was assisting at a Mass being celebrated by a Benedictine monk. Just two months ago, I had the honor of bringing an Archbishop, Alfred Hughes, to celebrate Mass before an over flow crowd of nearly 80 in the visiting shed. All of these events are both beautiful memories and tangible evidence of the call to visit Jesus in prison.

Last night I brought a newly ordained Priest to the Catholic community at Rayburn. Fr. Richard was ordained just this past December in Rome and is now assigned to my deanery as a member of his religious order. He is young; and he looks it. And as a newly ordained Priest, he is on fire for the Lord and his ministry. I met Fr. Richard back in the summer when he was a transitional Deacon and I got a chance to share stories of my prison ministry. He promised me then that he would one day come and celebrate Mass for the men at Rayburn.

Talk about delivering on a promise. Only 6 weeks back here in Louisiana Fr. Richard was there in the small classroom, meeting the men, hearing confessions, celebrating Mass and praying with the inmates. It was as if this had been a lifetime ministry for him. For the inmates, they understood the special nature of the visit of a newly ordained Priest. Besides welcoming him, may sought a blessing from Fr. Richard, complete with laying on of hands. These men knew the sacredness of recently consecrated hands of a new Priest.

For his part, Fr. Richard was moved enough to promise me many return visits throughout the year. For that, I am very thankful.

His spirituality was something I got to experience not only in his celebration of the Mass but in his stories that he shared on the ride up to Rayburn and in our recitation of the Rosary and the litany of Mary that he led during the return trip home.

I hope you will join me in praying for holy Priests like Fr. Richard, for vocations to the priesthood and please pray for the men of Rayburn prison who are reforming their lives and walking with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment