Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hitting the wall

I think today I hit the wall. Sometimes the combination of a demanding, yet rewarding job + your own personal and family life + the awesome ministry entrusted to me can wear you out physically. Tonight, I hit the wall. I've been on the run, night and day for over a week. This past weekend's retreat was intense and for some reason I found it hard to sleep over those four days. Not to mention we had a 5:15 wake up call every day and worked Thursday-Saturday night to 9. I took two days off from work to participate in the retreat and that just meant more work all day Monday and Tuesday. I think hitting the wall today can also be attributed to a long work day in New Orleans sitting in a training session hour after hour.

So tonight, I put aside whatever needs to be done and just tried to relax. I spent some time in prayer and watched a little TV and did little else; except wash some clothes and clean up the kitchen. But it was nice not driving anywhere tonight, or having to be somewhere.

Don't take this post the wrong way. I figure many of you can relate. Sometimes we just hit that old wall. For me, I'll try to get a good night's sleep and rise to face another day. I love my family, my ministry and I work very hard at the job. I'm always aware that my words, actions and behavior is scrutinized by some because I am a Catholic Deacon. So if I seem a little tired or slow over the next day or two, don't judge too harshly, don't draw any wild conclusions, pray that I can escape hitting that old proverbial wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment