Monday, February 22, 2010

A week I'm glad to be a Deacon

This is one of those weeks where so much ministry just happens! As an ordained minister it is my desire to be able to respond to needs and fulfill my call. And coming in this first full week of Lent makes it that much more special.

Tonight I am home working on a myriad of tasks related to my prison ministry. Preparing for the big retreat in a few weeks takes lots of time and effort. On Tuesday night I have an opportunity to assist our new Archbishop, Gregory Aymond, at a Mass for the candidates and catechumens preparing for entry into the church at the Easter Vigil. This will be my first opportunity to be on the altar with the new Archbishop. And Wednesday brings me back to the prison for a communion service and fellowship. I truly love this prison ministry entrusted to me by God through my Archdiocese. This visit will come after a morning meeting in front of my deanery where I will speak about the ministry. Then Thursday gives me an opportunity to speak about Lent to the students and parents of our 2nd grade school of religion. Friday I will help my brother Knights of Columbus at the fish fry and then Stations of the Cross. On Saturday I will travel to New Orleans to visit with the candidates and wives of our Deacon Class of 2012.
This is a busy week.

As a Deacon a week like this is actually very fulfilling. With new demands on the job, I miss daily Mass and other ministries I can't always do throughout the week. This helps me feel connected to ministry. And it does help me focus on being a Deacon, ministering to people, everyday, where I am at, in the moment.

I hope that those of you who visit this blog pray for me in ministry, and those who do likewise, and be assured of my prayers for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment