Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Saints in the Super Bowl; and New Orleans is joyful!

I can't believe my eyes but then again I can. On the one hand I never thought I'd ever say Saints are in the SuperBowl yet on the other hand I've always hoped; always dreamed!

The set up for this historic night in New Orleans begins with a team that made a comittment to a great coach and a great QB. They almost pulled it off in year 1 with a first time ever trip to the NFC championship in Chicago. Not to be that year. Then we endured two confusing lackluster years until this season. Some strong pickups on the defensive side of the ball and the Saints began the regular season. We noticed at 3-0, then back to back wins against New York teams and a few weeks later we are 8-0. Everyone focused on the New England game and the Saints produced a flat out butt whipping. Now the nation took pause to say what about these Saints. They reached 13-0 and all were ready for the Dallas game. The team looked like they lost focus temporarily and lost to Dallas and then Tampa too. That one hurt. After the Tampa game, in my frustration, I wrote that they were overrated at 13-2. Man, I was wrong.

After finishing 13-3 they secured home field advantage by being the #1 seed in the NFC. And they destroyed the Cardinals and arrived at tonight. From a sports standpoint it was a weird game. The Saints could not get a first down on almost all there 3rd down situations, Drew got less accurate as the game wore on but the Vikings, who dominated in yardage and time of possession. Ah, but turnovers. The Vikings made big ones; clutch ones especially that miracle one at the end of regulation.

The Saints won the toss for overtime and never gave the Vikes the ball. And then the most unlikeliest of Saint heroes; Garret Hartley splits a perfect kick thru the uprights and now we say:

THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS ARE IN THE SUPERBOWL!!!

Right now I'm watching TV and listening to the radio as Saints fans, heck all New Orleanians, are running in the street, hugging and crying and celebrating. The French Quarter looks like it's Mardi Gras squared; people are shooting off fireworks, and out here in the country; live ammo.

No other community in the nation, and dare I say the world, will ever have the relationship this place has with it's Saints. This has galvanized a community; healed the wounds of Katrina; brought people of different races, religions, etc. together. A community is in sheer ecstasy tonight.

Church bells are being rung; Catholics are invoking the litany of the Saints; many are still on their knees in prayer.

And yes, we understand this is football. We still have work and school in the morning and some of our cares and concerns are still there. We still are reaching out to the Haitians and for us, have a huge election in New Orleans proper in two weeks.

But tonight; it's all Saints.

43 years is longer than it took Moses to get the people to the promised land. In football vernacular; the Super Bowl is the promised land. Thank you Saints, the Benson family, coach Peyton and his staff, all the players and all who had anything to do with this magical moment.

And congratulations to all the fans; the one's who believe when some of us seem like we don't. Many people really give a lot to support this team.

My final word. So many unbelievable people have gone on to be with the real Saints in Heaven and are smiling tonight. I especially remember sports personalities Buddy Diliberto and Hap Glaudi. But tonight, I have two very special people who I know loved the Saints; my Uncle Jimmy, who made sure as a young boy, I attended NFL games in old Tulane Stadium. By the grace of God I was there when Tom Dempsey kicked that great 63 yard FG. And my Uncle Tiny, who faithfully listened to every Saints game on a small transistor radio, during the lean years, always hoping for just a winning season. Tonight, this win and the Saints trip to the SuperBowl is for you and all the Uncle Jimmy's and Tiny's who ever loved the Saints.

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler New Orleans; Geaux Saints Geaux!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.
    Psy Wonderful Pistachios Super Bowl commercial 2013| Super Bowl 2013

    ReplyDelete