Monday, January 18, 2010

A most rewarding MLK day!

I made up my mind a few weeks ago that this was not going to be an ordinary day off for the annual holiday remembering Martin Luther King. The Archdiocese of New Orleans was promoting several projects as part of a day of service to commemorate this important holiday. As the Catholic chaplain for a state prison I thought what better way to spend the day. And so I did.

Before I traveled north to Rayburn Prison I began my day at mass and was given the unexpected opportunity to preach this morning. With nothing prepared I related the story of my daughter insisting that we visit the National Civil Rights Musuem on our summer trip to Memphis. To be able to state that I literally stood on the very spot Dr. King was slain and the spot where his assassin fired the shot was overwhelming. I remember this morning relating the need to elimate all forms of prejudice from our lives as being that new wine skin that accepts new wine; from today's Gospel from Mark.

After some nice time spent with several parishioners over coffee I took off for Rayburn Prison. Little did I know that I would spend nearly 4 hours here, visiting every dorm including the lockdown. This would be my first experience at the lockdown and I will admit it was a little more intimidating than my other visits. There were plenty of men in lockdown who were respectable and several asked for prayer. But many seemed at first to resent my visit and a few had nothing to do with me passing through. That's o.k. as it is part of the total prison experience.

I did meet with many of the men who come to our Catholic evening services and masses and others who attend other faith based events. All I know is that I walked constantly for hours and must have shook hundreds of hands today. It is so peaceful to realize you don't have to visit with long-winded sermons and prayers; your presence among the inmates speaks volumes to them and your presence reflects Christ presence to them. For me, their presence does the same.

I truly had a most wonderful day today. The MLK holiday was both an opportunity to serve and an opportunity to reflect on the miles I have traveled in overcoming generational prejuidice.

I hope this dayis meaningful to you and I look forward to the day when King's dream will be fully realized and all can have this day off as a national day of service in honor of Dr. King's vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment