Friday, January 22, 2010

How Haiti has changed me

I don't claim to know anyone from Haiti; not even sure if I've personally met a Haitian. All I know about Haiti comes from news accounts and maybe a book or two. Yet the tragedy in Haiti has been very real to me. I have been moved many times over the past 10 days of the stories of the death and destruction, the rescue efforts, the volunteer efforts of the international community, the hope, the disappointment, the totality of the disaster.

Through it all, I have been most moved by the expressions of faith as demonstrated by so many Haitians on TV. Spontaneous songs of praise and hands raised in the air in prayer. Pleas for God's mercy being sent heavenward have been replayed over and over again. Worshippers gathered in front of the great Cathedral in Port-au-Prince, so heavily damaged, and prayed.

Many Haitians, despite great obstacles and the odds greatly stacked against them, have demonstrated resilience, charity, humility, joy, hope and patience. Sure, patience sometimes grows short and difficulties remain in ways we cannot understand.

Listening today to stories of gratefulness over a meal, some bottled water, a tent to sleep in, the news of a loved one or friend who survived gave me pause to wonder about all those things that I whine and cry about. First, am I grateful for life, for the everyday pleasures I take for granted? Am I grateful for a job and great co-workers to spend my day with? And am I truly grateful for my family; a wife who has loved and supported me for so many years and two children who make me proud everyday?

Then why do little things grieve me so? I would like more month at the end of my money. I would like to sleep in later or not work so hard. I would like the Saints to win the SuperBowl. I would like the weather to be warmer when it is cold and colder when it is hot? I wish I looked like I did when I was 30 years old. Get the picture?

It's tough when you realize that by nature you really can come across as depressed, ungrateful, downright complaining.

Haiti has opened my eyes to this reality. I need to be more joyful about each and every new day. I need to be more faithful as I realize God loves me and sent His Son to save me. I need to be more satisfied with what I have and distance myself from anxiety over what I want. I need to see the beauty in everyone I meet. I need to experience joy at the little things; the everyday things. I need to not give in to despair or disappointment so easily. I need to love more, laugh more, smile more and give comfort more.

God brings great hope from even the most evil events we witness in our lives. May this devastating event give hope to not only the Haitian people, who so richly deserve it, but to the entire world.

So tonight I lift my mind, heart and soul in prayer to God who loves me, loves you and loves the Hatian people.

Continue your prayers, continue your solidarity with our brothers and sisters from Haiti and continue giving what you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment