Sunday, December 20, 2009

A weekend in review; the good, the bad and the ugly

On this Sunday night before Christmas, I'm reflective about a weekend that had so many twists and turns. By now I have shared with you the ordeal of my daughter's armed robbery and the recovery process in place. I still can't believe that call came just this Friday night. And I'm still thrilled that she is safe and praying hard to avoid anger at what happened. We still have a few hurdles to jump through to replace stuff, but we accomplished much yesterday. Again, she is unhurt and safe; thanks be to God!

The Saints loss did take a lot of wind out of the sails of a nearly impossible dream; the undefeated season. But the cooler heads prevail reaction today is, hey 13-1 and firmly in control of our playoff destiny. Especially because this is Christmas week, most of us will just take a deep breath and await Saints vs. Tampa Bay on Sunday next.

The entire weekend was not without great moments. I was able to preach a homily for the second time this Advent season and reflect more deeply on the beautiful readings from St. Luke's awesome Gospel. I posted my homily on this site earlier today. To reflect on that beautiful story of the visitation was a spiritual experience. Perhaps it helped me today as my wife, daughter and I visited with family we all have not been together with since an unfortunate scheduling event this summer caused some tensions. But all was calm and peaceful and really nice. My nephew has the most precocious, adorable little almost seven year old that just brightens a room by here mere presence. It was wonderful to be with her and the family today.

Earlier today I was able to serve as Deacon of the Cup at our beloved St. Louis Cathedral. Our celebrant was retired Archbishop Alfred Hughes who was my ordaining Bishop just 1 short year ago. The 4th Sunday of Advent liturgy was beautiful and was presented in front of an amazing large standing room only crowd. It was interesting to see so many worhsippers in clothing representing the Saints and yes the Cowboys as well as the college fans in town for the New Orleans Bowl in the Superdome tonight. After Mass, Archbishop Hughes, who is always so generous with his time, gave a special blessing to my daughter for peace and healing after her ordeal.

Over the course of the weekend, as I was preoccupied with so many events related to assisting my daughter, I did pay attention to the news coming out of Rome. Pope Benedict 16th declared venerable the beloved John Paul the Great. This is an important step on the road to a formal declaration of Sainthood by the Catholic Church. He also declared Pope Pius XII venerable as well. Perhaps we are not as familiar with Pius XII. He served as the Supreme Pontiff during the World War II years and all the way til 1958. His pontificate was misunderstood and controversial but history is showing his strength during the war and his compassion in the delicate way he helped save so many Jewish people from slaughter. He also was ahead of the times looking into discussions on a permanent diaconate and reforms that later occured thanks to Vatican II.

And I have followed some sad news too. I've read today of the death of a beautiful 32 year old actress named Brittany Murphy from what authorities are calling natural causes? And we just found out that the young, talented albeit troubled wide receiver from the Bengals, Chris Henry, will be buried this week in a small town near here. Henry was a local high school standout.

All of this reminds me this week to live life fully. Perhaps the best way to do this is to follow the motto of St. Jane de Chantal, the patroness of my church parish: Live Jesus+. Neither of those two young people thought these last few days would be their last on earth; just as my daughter never thought she would have to stare down her mortality as a 20 year old college student. But what endures this week is the joyful hope of God sent to us as a baby boy. Born of the Virgin, He came to save us. And whether our life is full of good news or bad, smooth paths or unexpected twists and turns, Jesus Christ is the one sure hope on which we can rely. The joy of seeing the delight of a young child, like that of my young neice or some of those who received wrapped Christmas gifts from strangers yesterday and the hope that permeated the life of Venerable John Paul the Great, or the example of patience and kindness demonstrated by Archbishop Hughes or the realization that my own daughter is home safe; these are those examples that lift us when we are low and keep us moving forward when the world weighs us down.

Make this an awesome week ahead; an awesome week. Live it fully. Spend it with God. Prepare fully and worthily for Christmas; it is upon us. Relflect on the true meaning of this special Holy Day. Love your family, embrace your friends, seek Christ in all you encounter and talk to God. And Live Jesus+.

No comments:

Post a Comment