Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A sick day lesson

Today was one of those days I have not had in a very, very long time. Late last night, I knew I was getting sick. I was freezing cold, then burning up. My stomach felt like someone took a bat to it. Then I started to think about what I had eaten earlier in the day. I realized that the leftover pizza I found in the refrigerator at work was, well, about a week old. Yikes! But I was hungry and it was there and I was having a pretty busy day.

I spent today in the bed, and for entertainment, made it to the easy chair and never moved a muscle, except to operate the remote. If what I saw on TV is a typical daytime offering for those who find themselves home everyday, then it's amazing we are not in more serious trouble as a nation and a people. Where do people of faith go? Yes, I stopped in over at EWTN a bit, caught some ESPN analysis about the Saints and watched the test flight of a new airliner, I believe they call it the 787. But this was sanwiched in between such filth as Springer, the View (man those are some uptight and bitter women, except Elizabeth), the foolishness that is all the judge shows, soap operas; are you kidding me. Even shows like Maury, Dr. Phil and others look forward to exploiting people's tragedies and shortcomings.

Why do these shows exist? Because you watch them. Turn this garbage off. I thank God that I spend very little time home during the day but if I do so again in the near future I'll settle for more EWTN, Bonanza reruns and spend more quiet time in prayer.

I hope I get to feeling better real soon. This has all the makings of a big week. Just last night we celebrated Mass for the CCD kids before sending them home for the Christmas break. Tomorrow our deanery, all the parishes in a geographic area, will meet at St. Joseph Abbey for mass and a Christmas social. In the evening we will bring holiday cheer to the men at Rayburn Prison. Thursday brings Theology on Tap and Friday is another social with the morning group that attends daily mass. I really want to feel better now!

I was reminded today about offering it up. So I did. But I thank God that this is usually a very rare event for me. I just need to remember to change the channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment