Friday, December 11, 2009

Has it really been one year already

Below is a copy of an email letter I just sent off to all my family and friends on the upcoming one year anniversary of my ordination to the diaconate. I wanted to post it here as well as I am so grateful to all of you who support my ministry and read my blog. By the way, this was one fast year!

To all my dear family & friends:

I sit down tonight to share with all of you my joy and profound thankfulness on this milestone weekend. On this very weekend one year ago I received the grace of the Sacrament of Holy Orders upon my ordination as a Catholic Deacon. The actual anniversary is Sunday, December 13th. It seems like just a few weeks ago but in fact it has been a year already since these life changing events.

I remember with great fondness the outpouring of love and support from so many of you as ordination drew near. Throughout the events of that special weekend I literally could feel your prayers as they fortified me during ordination and this past year. The many gifts bestowed on me are used often in ministry, liturgy and the works of charity and service that mark my ministry. In so many ways, many of you paved the way for me to minister to God’s people as a Catholic Deacon.

Even though the year has past so very fast, I have loved every minute fulfilling God’s work and the ministry of sacramentalizing service. As most of you know, my primary ministry is the Catholic pastoral care that I direct at Rayburn Correctional Center. Along with my many lay volunteers, we minister to 25-50 inmates every month. We have been able to work with several men who are pursuing conversion to the faith. I also ventured into the ecumenical worship movement at Rayburn and continue to support these efforts. I am thankful for the many Priests who stepped forward in 2009 and celebrated Mass and listened to confessions. These nights are so very special for the men.

I have also been blessed to be assigned liturgically at my home parish of St. Jane de Chantal in Abita Springs. From that very first Sunday when I put on the dalmatic and preached, my parish family has been prayerfully supportive. I have been blessed to preach at least once if not twice monthly. Perhaps one of the more personally joyful events of being a Deacon for me has been the opportunity to baptize our new little Christians. Every Baptism has been different but all have been very special. While I did not have many opportunities to witness weddings, working with young couples preparing for that special day or working with those either repairing a marriage or working through an annulment has been another blessing.

And then comes those amazing moments when you realize that you are actively engaged in ministry, right where you are; at work, a community event, the store, visiting friends or neighbors. The beautiful thing about being a Permanent Deacon is you always are one. This is not a role or a task you put on and take off. You are always a Deacon. And as I have said so many times in my communications this past year; for the Deacon it’s not about what you do but who you are!

One of those unexpected blessings of this past year has been my own abitadeacon website. I hope you have had a chance to drop by every now and then. My prayer is that the site will be a wonderful blessing to all who stop by and that you find it informative and spiritually uplifting.

Tomorrow night, on the eve of our 1 year anniversary, me and my 23 fellow Deacon classmates, will gather for Mass and celebration of our milestone. On Sunday, the actual anniversary, I will be preaching at the 11 a.m. Mass just like I did for the very first time last year.

As I continue to thank God for all of you and pray for you, including those of you who came into my life since my ordination, I ask that you do the same for me. Prayerfully asking for God’s abundant blessings on you and your loved ones, I remain…

Yours in our Savior, Christ the Lord,
Deacon Mike

Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever! Heb. 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment