Thursday, December 31, 2009

December 31, 2009; a day to reflect

There is something about this day that gives us pause to reflect. As we get older, I believe we like to look backwards. This blog may not be too interesting for many of you to read unless you know me personally and have followed my recent journeys. So in the next few paragraphs I plan to reflect on my journey through 2009, which you will see, was greatly influenced by my service as a Permanent Deacon in the Catholic Church.

January 2009 was when I felt like I finally activated my ministry as a Deacon as I began my visits to Rayburn Prison. I was profoundly impacted from the first night there at the manner in which those men welcomed me as "their" Deacon. Since that time I have made over 30 visits to Rayburn to pray with and for these men as they strive to turn their lives around.

Over the first few months of the year I also got more comfortable with my role as a Deacon at my home church parish. I was blessed to be allowed to preach several times each month and always take this responsibility seriously. I will never forget the first time I baptized a baby and welcomed her into the Catholic Church. Every opportunity to baptize a new little Christian is a joy.

Early in the year I was selected to be a mentor for three men discerning their call to perhaps be ordained one day as a Deacon. These sessions proved to be meaningful for me and I hope for them as well. This brought back many nice memories of my 5 years spent in formation.

February brought my entrance into the world of blogging. On February 9th, I posted my first blog and have been happily doing so ever since. My prayer, then as it is now, is that these reflections, homilies, articles will help enhance the spiritual life of all who find their way to this site.

In March I received news that I was being reassigned a new job position at the bank. Initially I was skeptical but it was obvious this had to happen. The change in routine and location brought to an upbrupt end my comittment to attend daily Mass. With the help of prayers and some solid spiritual direction I have been able to deal with this in a meaningful way. And after submitting myself to intense training and using my skills of being a financial professional for almost 30 years, I have transitioned well. I do love my office and the staff I work with in Mandeville and am getting more comfortable in this position every day.

As my job and my diaconate evolved I continued in 2009 to be loved and supported by my wonderful wife Wendy. In June we celebrated our 32 wedding anniversary. We have two great kids, Jimmy and Elizabeth. Jimmy lives in North Carolina but we got to visit with him a few times. We saw him this summer when he comes in for the Grand Isle Tarpon rodeo and Wendy and her mom went and stayed with him in August. Then Wendy and I went up and spent a week with him in October. He is a successful veternarian and is planning his May 2010 wedding.
Elizabeth completed her sophomore year at LSU, came home for the summer and went to work at two jobs. She hopes to save enough money to take a trip to Europe this summer. She went back to LSU for her junior year and was doing great. She moved to her new apartment, took a job, mentored in a grammer school and posted a 3.8 g.p.a. And then two weeks ago she was robbed at work by gun weilding thugs. She is doing well since that night and thankfully was not hurt. I don't want to say too much here, but yesterday the police apprehended these guys. I will never take for granted the gift of safety of our family.

I survived summer. In a previous post I explained that I hate summer. Too hot and I dislike the hurricane season. I never seem to cope with the endless grass cutting that comes with acres of property. In this past year two dear friends, Aimee and Keith, realizing how overwhelmed my schedule can become, made many trips to the property and cut my grass and did many other things. How dear is good friendship.

I have been loving the fall and winter this year. Well, I could do with less rain. Like many of you, I have enjoyed the Saints season, although you could probably never tell by the frustration in my last post about their second loss. And I love LSU football, even though I believe they underachieved this year. In the last few months, Wendy and I did our first Supper and Substance together in New Roads. She did pretty good in front of an audience. We did this for an old friend from my Jaycees days.

2009 was also the year I learned all about facebook and twitter. I thought to myself, not too bad for an old man. I tend to use facebook to connect with Catholics, and others of faith, to promote and proclaim Christ. Yes, I did reconnect with old friends, even family and lots of my jaycees buddies from the 80's.

At year end, despite dealing with Elizabeth's big scare, we prepared dutifully for the Advent and Christmas liturgies that dominate the life of a Deacon. As we approach New Years Day tomorrow, I can say well done.

I plan to post something tommorrow or over the weekend about the year ahead. But for now, as I reflect on 2009 I give thanks to God almighty for keeping me and my family safe, well and together. I also give Him thanks for my ministry and for my new job.

I hope you get a chance too to reflect on the year ahead; even if it was a difficult year. And we can all look forward with hope, optimism and joy at the year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment