Sunday, November 29, 2009

Prison Ministry with the Archbishop

Today I was driving around the Northshore on my way to Mass at a neighboring parish. I would be preaching today at the invitation of a Deacon friend of mine. I was a little unsure of the homily, as is often the case, not because the Holy Spirit isn't working, I'm not sure how well I am listening. On my car radio is XM station 117, better known as the Catholic Channel. And much to my delight, I was catching the Mass from St. Patrick's Cathedral and the homily of Archbishop Dolan.

He, like many of us graced to preach, was talking about Advent. And the Archbishop turned his attention to his visit last week, just a day or so before Thanksgiving, to his visit to a correctional center in Manhatten. He described so beautifully the visit with an inmate who explained to him how he is right where he needs to be and how he has found his faith and his love for Jesus since being locked up. He went on to talk about his willingness to wait, the joy of taking things one day at a time and his anticipation of one day being free now that he is truly free. Then the Archbishop said these words: for the inmate seeking faith, everyday is Advent.

What a beautiful sentiment. Advent is all about coming. Christ comes to meet us and we can come to Him. The Archbishop went on to say that Christ indeed comes to us not just in Mass, or the Holy Eucharist, or in the wonderful Sacraments of the Church; Christ comes to us in a handmade sandwhich prepared for a hungry person, a blanket to warm a homeless person, a visit to a sick person and yes, when someone ministers to one in prison.

I thank God today that my routine was different and I had the opportunity to hear this wonderful homily by one of the true Church leaders in our country. Coincidence? I think not. Just another reminder that Jesus is always coming to me in so many ways. Today, it just happened to be satellite radio!

No comments:

Post a Comment