Wednesday, November 25, 2009

On the eve of Thanksgiving

I spent the evening with about 22 men tonight on the inside of a prison. All of them were very much aware that Thanksgiving is here. All wished me a Happy Thanksgiving and I returned the wishes, wondering silently what does Thanksgiving feel like for them. And not just them; nobody who works at the prison is off tomorrow. Sometimes we take for granted that we have the day off, to spend as we wish, usually with family and friends, food and football. The men of Rayburn Prison will be in my heart and on my mind as I celebrate Thanksgiving Day.

Many of us use this holiday to take stock; to reflect on what we are thankful for. My list is long, as I'm sure yours is too. But this year my list is different. Let me take a shot:

I am thankful first and foremost that I know God loves me, that Jesus died for me and intercedes for me and my relationship with God is deeper and more personal.

I am thankful for being joined to Christ through His Church and that He has chosen me to be His ordained minister. I am thankful for the Eucharist which nourishes me and for Sacred Scripture which sustains me.

I am thankful for a devoted wife, Wendy, who now has been my bride for almost 33 years and my soulmate for at least 37 years.

I am thankful for two remarkably brilliant and lovely children, James & Elizabeth. I am thankful that they have chartered their own course and have been successful in career, career plans and college.

I am thankful for friends who have rallied and supported me especially in this year of ministry, job changes and non-stop action.

I am thankful for all those who have allowed me to help them in any small way, through ministry, to heal, become whole, to find God, to trust, to love, to ask for God's mercy and love.

I am thankful for the babies I have baptized this year, for couples I have worked with, for the sick who I have prayed with, for all those that God has placed in front of me.

I am thankful for my now 16 year career and the many wonderful people, past and present, that I have worked next to.

I am thankful that not every day is easy; that difficulties come along and they too serve a purpose.

I am thankful that the Saints are winning and I am thankful, even after last week, that I love LSU sports.

I am thankful for little things that bring joy and happiness.

I am thankful for this remarkable year serving as a Deacon.

I am thankful for all God does for me.

I am thankful to live in America and pray for those who keep us free.

I am thankful that I live in an awesome community that still feels like small town U.S.A.

I am thankful that I have a wonderful home with land and space and some deer who are sleeping in my back pasture even as we speak.



I am thankful for all of you!

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment