Thursday, October 1, 2009

Gotta love October!

I divide the year into two parts. My favorite half starts now, October and runs through March. My decision is purely because I no longer seem to be able to tolerate heat and humidity, something that runs rampant here in the deep south from April through September. Of course, we can get heat and humidity any day of the year. But cold fronts, clean cold air, even a frost, deep winter nights where the stars are abundant all happen in my favorite half. I also love football, the holidays and still more football.

When October 1st rolls around I realize that the Church offers much to kick off my favorite half of the year. October is dedicated to Mary and the Rosary. We now can reflect on a great deal of Scripture with the addition of the Luminous Mysteries several years ago, by Pope John Paul II, to the well known Joyful, Sorrowful and Glorious Mysteries.

October is also a great month dedicated to Pro-Life activities. This weekend, across Catholic parishes and communities, Chains of Life will be lining sidewalks, streets, highways and byways. And don't be surprised if you see more than a few folks praying a Rosary in the Chain for Life.

After a wonderful feast today for St. Theresa we celebrate on the 1st Friday of the month the Memorial of the Guardian Angels. We can reflect with the 91st Psalm and rejoice that God gave His angels charge over us!! Most Catholic children will learn the Guardian Angel prayer early in their life's formation: "Angel of God my guardian dear to whom God's love commits me here, ever this day be at my side to light and gaurd, to rule and guide, Amen.

This weekend, in our neck of the woods, brings huge fall festivals, a big LSU football game (Geaux Tigers) and the best NFL matchup of the week, Saints vs Jets (Go Saints Go)!! Even when our plate is full and our calender favorable, may we always remember to give God all the glory, praise and thanks and visit Him at Mass, perhaps a 1st Friday Adoration and Benediction and in prayer. Gotta love October!

No comments:

Post a Comment