Sunday, May 3, 2009

Just reflecting on a Sunday afternoon...

On this very rainy afternoon just thought about the excitement of first communions, priestly ordinations, May crownings and the ongoing joy of the Easter season. It's great to be Catholic! May brings special springtime devotions to Mary, the Ascension and the celebration of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

I have had a few people ask about concerns regarding the h1-n1 virus (swine flu) and liturgical practices at Mass. The Archdiocese has a statement on their website http://www.arch-no.org/ and each parish may or may not take extra precautions. If for any reason you wish to not exchange the sign of peace with your neighbor, just be polite, wish them peace and indicate you do not wish to shake hands. And, if you decide to forego the cup at communion time that's ok too if this is what you really want to do. Remember, receiving Jesus under either species is the whole body and blood of Jesus. At our parish, we will continue to offer the precious blood. As with any illness, your decision to attend Mass while sick is highly discouraged. While Catholics have a duty to attend Sunday Mass, it is not sinful to miss Mass if you are ill or feel like you may be coming down with an illness. God knows intent.

Finally, I have been most busy lately both at work and in ministry. I continue to serve the men at Rayburn prison, while assisting the parish in various functions. Friends have asked so I can let you know that I will be preaching the weekends of May 23-24 and June 6-7. I have attempted to be available via various communication methods from email to my website, http://abitadeacon.blogspot.com/ to facebook and yes, now I'm on Twitter. For those of you who know me very well then you know this is a labor of love to go kicking and screaming into the 21st century. But Jesus asked us to proclaim the Good News to the ends of the Earth and this now includes cyberspace.

So feel free to visit me on my site or facebook or twitter or if you just want to call please do so. As a Catholic Deacon, I'm available to point you in the right direction, pray for you and/or with you and answer any questions you may have. I also ask that you pray for me and the ministry of the Deacon. For those of you that have become dear friends, for years, months or weeks, please know that your friendship sustains me personally and in my ministry.

May we all be open to God's abundant blessings and may Mary help us to place our trust in her beloved Son.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever! Hebrews 13:8
Deacon Mike

1 comment:

  1. Mike,

    Just a quick note to let you know I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to post these thoughts and reflections.

    Ellis

    ReplyDelete