Monday, December 13, 2021

Ordained 12-13-2008; serving God by serving others

 Today is the 13th anniversary of my ordination to the Permanent Diaconate for the Archdiocese of New Orleans.  Time has failed to dim the memories of that day.  It was clear, crisp and chilly as we met to vest in the home behind the Cathedral in New Orleans.  We processed into historic St. Louis Cathedral along with all the many priests and deacons there and we also had 3 Archbishops and 2 Bishops.  Ordination Masses are uniquely beautiful.  All the smells and bells are used, the choir is full throated and the rites are ancient and sublime.  I remember the promises we made, the laying on of hands while kneeling before Archbishop Hughes, receiving the Book of the Gospels, the sign of peace with the Archbishop and then all the Deacons present in the Cathedral.  And before you knew it, we processed out of the Cathedral as Deacons and the congregants acknowledge our new and permanent reality.  There were 23 of us that Saturday morning and we all went our separate ways to minister and serve.  Since that day we all have never been together under one roof.

My wife arranged a very special afternoon reception with family, friends, parishioners and guests.  I do not remember the name of the restaurant but I remember the love and friendship and kindness of all gathered to share this day with me.  That very evening I vested for my first Mass as a Deacon; attending the inaugural Mass of classmate Deacon Ricky Suprean at St. John of the Cross in Lacombe.  Then came Sunday; my first Mass assisting at St. Jane de Chantal and preaching my very first homily before a very full church.  The parish hosted a reception after Mass and even more family and friends were able to be with us.  

For 13 years since that time I have served as a Permanent Deacon with my longest continuous assignment as a pastoral care chaplain at Rayburn Correctional Center, a facility that houses 1200 offenders in the state penitentiary system.  I absolutely love this ministry and missed it dearly for 18 months during the Covid lockdown.  At it's high point, the ministry was attracting 100 men for weekly services and 160 for weekend retreats.  This is a very important and necessary ministry for the church and I am so thankful for playing a small part in bringing the message of Christ and His Church to these men.  My parish assignments were St, Jane de Chantal for 2 years, Most Holy Trinity for almost 5 years then back to St. Jane again for 6 years.  St. Jane is my home parish and now Most Holy Trinity is my home away from home.  

I've loved every opportunity to minister including all the Baptisms, Weddings including all the marriage prep, helping at 1st Communions, Confirmations, yes, the funerals and just the countless times just being present, talking and listening and being as helpful as possible as we strive to serve.

Since my ordination we have lost two brother Deacons from our class; Deacon Michael Zaiontz who died in November of 2017 and Deacon Paul Augustine who died just a month and a half ago.

I want to thank my wife Wendy for all her support, my family, all my many parishioners and friends, the Priests I have worked with and both Archbishop Hughes and Archbishop Aymond.  I thank all my brother Deacons and their wives too especially our fearless leader and my boyhood friend, Deacon Ray Duplechain.

Most importantly I thank God for choosing me for this ministry and for allowing me to answer the call.  I pray everyday that my yes may always help others to advance in their walk with God and always draw closer to the light of Christ.

On this day of anniversary I declare once again: Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment