Friday, June 29, 2018

Another Friday night update with some additional reflections/thoughts

Wendy's mom is resting comfortably after successful surgery that included inserting a chest tube to get fluid away from the heart.  In fact, doctors told us they removed about 2 lbs. of fluid from the pericardium.  Her blood pressure and heart rate have stabilized and some of the swelling in her body has improved.  Make no mistake, the war is not over, by a long shot, but tonight we won a battle.  After this long struggle, we take any victory.  Lynn has been hospitalized in one way or another since June 2nd and we are surprised at how far things spiraled out of control.  In short, she is a sick yet fighting woman.  I really have appreciated your prayers.

I've learned many lessons over these past 4 weeks.  It's good that we continue to learn even as we grow older.  There are so many wonderful dedicated medical professionals out there; we have been blessed to encounter many.  In fact Lynn's doctors this week have been phenomenal and also very kind.  All of you too are very generous with prayers, offers to help and that is so much appreciated.

Family too deserves mention as so many cousins and aunts and others have been very helpful.  Wendy, and I, for that matter have very little family left.  Her mom is the last remaining parent and Wendy really only has one sister and I have two.  Not too many folks left from our parents generation.  I, like all of you, love my children and we cherish our grandchildren.  Tonight, despite all going on, I snuck a visit in to see my little Brennan.  Of all our sisters there is only 3 children and 2 grandchildren.  By most standards we are a small family.

Families can be complicated huh.  But this week I want to be more focused on family, staying connected, being more engaged, healing hurts, forgiving and being forgiven.  I need to be stronger at the forgiving part and thankful that others have forgiven me.

My life is a busy life and I believe one with much purpose.  As an ordained minister, sealed by the Holy Spirit and forever changed ontologically, I'm called to serve, to minister to charity, to be a gift of sacramental presence, to teach, to listen, to help, to guide, to be generous and to serve some more.  My family members deserve no less.

Life, I believe, if lived right, never quits teaching you lessons.  I hope I will always be a willing student.  And I hope I can be present to more to even my family.  And I so pray that I will always be generous and kind because I know that I have not always been generous and kind.

I've often said that I believe in loving others with a love that helps the other get to heaven.  And I always believed that some times that may require a tough love, a love informed by truth.  But I learned tonight that love, especially among family, should be unconditional.  Yes, we may disagree, or be diametrically opposed on certain things but my love must be unconditional.  Maybe the one I love unconditionally is not always my best pal, maybe I struggle sometimes with the "liking" but the love must be unconditional.

To all reading this, please continue to pray for Wendy's mom and be a person of unconditional love, kindness, forgiveness and generosity!


No comments:

Post a Comment