Friday, June 1, 2018

Already June; a look ahead

June dawns this morning; the start of summer, unofficially, and the start of the hurricane season, officially.  June meant different things to me at different times of my life, as a boy, sheer joy at summers off from school and maybe a trip to the Mississippi coast, some years later it would be the month of my wedding(June 4th) and now just another busy month among 11 other busy months.

June has begun here in my area with very August like weather, Sunday it is predicted to be 97 degrees with 108 heat index.  This is why my northern friends laugh at me when I cheer on the seasons of autumn and winter; of course these seasons are not intense like they are up north.  But summer, for us, is always intense.  And as mentioned earlier that hurricane season thing; this is how you know if it's a bad season or not: did a hurricane, or even a tropical storm, hit you?  That's the only barometer that matters.  So now that we have arrived at June 1st, it's an everyday thing to check the tropics until November.  Alberto already happened so we wait to see if this is going to be a busy season.  And don't forget, June also ushers in the need to cut grass almost every week for quite sometime now.

For me these days June means a season of ordinations, both priests (tomorrow) and permanent deacons (about three weeks away).  The movement of priests to new assignments is also right around the corner.  June is also the month dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a devotion very special at our local church parish of St. Jane de Chantal.  June also ushers in the new phenomena of Vacation Bible School(VBS).  Almost every Catholic parish now has this; something done for decades by other Christian denominations.

So we welcome June, it is hot, and I'll be going to cut grass soon.  But it is 1st Friday too so off I'll go to spend some time in Adoration then offer Benediction tonight.  March on June.

No comments:

Post a Comment