Saturday, March 5, 2016

How I spent my birthday

The first week of March brings the strong hints of spring and the realization that soon the grass must be cut, for like the next 7 months; ugh!  And this same week brings milestones in my life, both my birthday and the birthday of my first born son James.  Yes, on the evening of my 21st birthday party, I drove my wife to the hospital so Jimmy could come into the world on the morning of March 5th.

This birthday, celebrated yesterday, was # 59.  I am celebrating the last year of yet another decade and will be starring down at 60 next year.  As is often the case on a weekday, I spent most of the day at work.  I did field a few phone calls and tons of texts and Facebook messages.  I had a great phone call with my #1 grandson Calvin.  He is always good for a smile and a laugh!

My evening, a Friday night in Lent, was spent just like I would want it to be; I got to spend almost the entire evening at church and with my parish family!  At 6 PM I presided at the closing and Benediction of our all day First Friday Adoration!  I truly love Benediction when we continue to adore Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament and receive His blessing with the Sacred Host!  We also pray the Litany of the Sacred Heart and last night I gave a brief reflection on Psalm 51 in this incredible Jubilee Year of Mercy.  I stepped next store after Benediction as our parish Lenten Fish Fry was in full bloom.  From what I understand, for the 3rd week in a row, over 600 meals were served.  But at 7 PM I stepped back into church and prayed the beautiful Stations of the Cross.  What a powerful devotion; a powerful prayer.  "We adore you O Christ and we praise you, because by your Holy Cross, you have redeemed the world". 

And yes, after Stations, I was able to taste the goodness of that delectable fried catfish plate!
my 59th birthday was spent right where I needed to be and happily in service as a Deacon to the people of God, right here at home in beautiful Abita Springs.  I can say, it was a great birthday; one filled with innumerable blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment