Thursday, January 7, 2016

So end of the year Saints drama is over; Coach Payton stays and promises better days

Sean Payton says he plans on finishing his career with Saints


Saints coach Sean Payton announces he is staying
New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton announces he is staying on as the team coach during a press conference at their headquarters in Metairie on Wednesday, January 6, 2016. (Photo by Chris Granger, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune)
 
 
 
 
 
 

Latest New Orleans Saints news


New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton isn't going anywhere, he announced in a press conference Wednesday afternoon at the team's facility.
With owners Tom and Gayle Benson looking on, Payton, who has two years left on his contract, said he doesn't see himself going anywhere else.
"This is where I plan on coaching. I don't envision myself ever coaching for any other club," Payton said. "I plan on finishing my career here."
Although Payton was under contract, reports dating to the 2014 season have suggested he could walk away from New Orleans after this season.
Payton said he had several long talks with Saints general manager Mickey Loomis this week, when it was ultimately decided he would stay with the Saints.
"I'm just as excited and to some degree just as nervous (as he was at his introductory press conference in 2006), but looking forward to where we're going," Payton said. "And I don't take for granted one minute the leadership that sits over me and has confidence in me to be a part of a team and a part of an organization."
Payton, 52, will be entering his 11th season with the Saints. He is tied with Jim Mora for the most wins in franchise history with 93. There were numerous suitors, including the Philadelphia Eagles, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers and New York Giants, that were reportedly lined up for his services if Payton had chosen to leave New Orleans. Payton said he hasn't had discussions with Loomis about a contract extension, but that will take care of itself.
Sean Payton: 'I don't envision myself coaching for any other club' | VideoNew Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton says he does not envision himself coaching for any other club during his end-of-season press conference amid speculation about his future with the team, Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2016.
Payton said his affinity for the city also factored in his decision to remain with the Saints.
"There is something unique and different; I can't put my finger on it," Payton said of New Orleans. "I drive through a pothole every day like you guys do and get upset. When the water's down in a certain parish, I have to come here to shower just like everyone else might have to go somewhere else.
"And yet it grows on you, and it is home."
The Saints will likely have to make major changes for the second straight offseason after missing the playoffs for two consecutive years with identical 7-9 records.
Last year, the Saints shipped out several of their star players in the offseason, trading Pro Bowl tight end Jimmy Graham and cutting troubled pass rusher Junior Galette, despite incurring a massive amount of dead money to do so.
However, the changes were not enough to reverse the fortunes of the team, which finished third in the NFC South.
Payton said he has the energy to get the team back on the right track.
"I think (veteran offensive tackle) Zach Strief said it best: I'll be here as long as they'll have me," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment