Sunday, May 31, 2015

Reflective on a Sunday afternoon

Something about very cloudy, off and on rainy Sunday afternoons; they make one like me very reflective.  I simply ran out of gas today; I had hoped to be at a meeting this afternoon in New Orleans about re-entry programs for ex-inmates.  I did not make it.  I write here often about a holy contentment that is accompanied by fatigue after a busy run of ministry.  After 3 straight nights of ministry during the week, my Saturday/Sunday was pretty busy too.  I was pleased to assist at vigil Mass yesterday at St. Jane de Chantal, my home parish that I am returning to effective July 1st.  Then this morning I was out the door a little past 6 AM and assisted at Most Holy Trinity, the parish I've been at since January 2011 and will be leaving soon, at both the 7 and 9 morning Masses.  At noon I was happy to attend the retirement party of St. Jane's long-time DRE, Ms. Phyllis Richards.  I go way back with Phyllis having taught 8th grade CCD for many years and then helped with many various projects for her after my ordination.  Now after 33 years in the program and 19 as DRE she has retired; we all wish her God-speed.  Then from there, I was back to MHT for the big feast day picnic, a parish tradition.  It was a very nice event and I was so moved by all the parishioners who approached me to tell me how much they are going to miss me at MHT.  So yes, by 2:30 PM my gas tank was running on empty.

So here I sit on a Sunday afternoon with plenty to reflect on, especially today when the Church asks us to contemplate the mystery of the Trinity.  It is a good day to reflect on one God in three Persons and to go to the Father, who created us, the Son, who redeemed us and the Spirit, who sanctifies us in prayer.  In addition to this sublime mystery, my prayer today has me going in so many different directions.  As I mentioned earlier, my wife is struggling with the reality of losing a job she had hoped would actually be her dream job.  It's been a week, and my bride has been keeping very busy.  She will land on her feet job-wise, but for now she joins the ranks of so many folks wanting to work but without a job.  I also pray for her health as she continues to get better from what has been a tough health year.  I also pray for and always have in the back of my mind the upcoming arrival of grandbaby #2 in July and the wedding of daughter #1 next April.  Sometimes I allow myself, even during prayer, to imagine the excitement of these life-changing events. 

On this Sunday afternoon, another day where I can't cut my grass because of the 2 month pattern of unrelenting rain, I am thinking of the days and weeks ahead.  I am enjoying the start of another Adult Faith Formation program, which runs every Tuesday night now through August.  In the coming week, I also get to celebrate anniversary #38 with Wendy; married June 4, 1977.  And in June I will be busy with several transitional events preparing for the move from MHT to St. Jane's.  And then on June 27th we will celebrate the ordination of 19 new Deacons for the Archdiocese of New Orleans! 

Take time to reflect now and then; I find it very beneficial.  And while you are at it, quiet yourself a few extra moments and pray to the Trinity; Father, Son & Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment