Monday, April 28, 2014

SURGERY; A first for the abitadeacon

Sitting at home tonight, I survived my first surgery ever.  Without boring you beyond belief, I simply had hernia repair surgery, fortunately with a laparoscopic procedure.  That means I got to come tonight, even though my recover time will be about 12-15 days. 


Despite several health challenges in my life, including some heart issues, I have managed to avoid surgery for these 57 years.  Yes, I've had an angiogram or two, always yielding good results!  I take medications to keep my blood pressure in check and I do suffer from an irregular heart beat from time to time.  I have also dutifully had those colonoscopies no one looks forward to.  Again, predominately good news here too!  Both these procedures involve anesthesia but not at the level my hernia repair surgery required today.  Apparently, I had to be intubated, knocked out cold for an hour and I received 5 incisions for the surgeon to access the hernia and make the necessary repairs.  I am told all went well, very well!


Now I am experiencing what so many of you know all about; post surgical pain.  It is promised to get better, I am told, but tonight is a little rough.  And I say this with all due respect to the many of you who have endured pain far worse than I.  Now pain meds; that's a different story!  Love them!  Admittedly, I'm trying to not overdo it, and I still feel some pain.  Yet, I can manage it with the help of my little white pills.  Editorial note:  always take pain medicine per doctor's orders and never, ever overdo it or share with others.  Editorial over!


In response to my surgery, I have received dozens upon dozens of well wishes, prayers and offers of help.  I am overwhelmed!  Each of you, in your kindness and generosity, have reflected the light of Christ in who you are and your charity offered to me!  I thank each of you from the bottom of my heart!


I've always preached and taught about the efficaciousness of uniting one's pain and suffering to that experienced by Jesus in His passion, crucifixion and death.  These words have a fresh, new meaning for me tonight!


This experience had taught me to love one another more deeply and completely and to be more wiling to walk a mile n the shoes of our brothers & sisters!


A first for the abitadeacon, and now on the mend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment