Sunday, August 18, 2013

My homily for this 20th Sunday in Ordinary Time


I went to the internet the past week to see how many songs had the word “fire” in the title.  I quit counting at about 75.  But I enjoyed going through the list as I recalled some of my favorites: Fire and Rain by sweet baby James Taylor, We Didn’t Start the Fire by the incomparable Billy Joel and Ring of Fire by the man in black, Johnny Cash.  Even some pretty classic movies have the word “fire” in the title like Chariots of Fire, St. Elmo’s Fire and Fireproof to name but a few.  The very word “fire” is a powerful word so much so that even the 1st amendment cannot protect someone who would dare shout “fire” in a crowded public place.

Fire can be both life threatening and life giving.  No one wants to experience the pain and suffering of a house fire.  There is a reason we hear warnings every year about things like controlling a camp fire or cleaning and repairing our home heating seasons every year.  Fire can kill.  And fire gives life.  Through the centuries, fire has allowed us to warm our homes, cook our food, and produce many finished products we enjoy.  Fire also can bring new life, as my family witnessed on a visit to Yellowstone many years after one of their larger more devastating wildfires.  The forests and woods were coming back with new life. 

As people of faith, are we aware of the life giving, purifying fire of Jesus Christ?

I have come to set the earth on fire; I wish it was already blazing!  The first time we hear these words from the lips of the Savior we may be shocked; these are strong words.  What is this fire of which Jesus speaks?  Well, in context, we know that Jesus is traveling throughout this section of Luke back to Jerusalem, to face the crucifixion.  Jesus would also know that soon after his death, there is the resurrection and then the establishment of the Church, ushered in by the appearance of the Holy Spirit, in the form of tongues of fire.  Jesus is clearly speaking of a fire of love and charity.  This fire is a purifying fire.  This fire, which we can participate in, is life giving, life affirming, life changing.  It does not destroy but restores and renews.  We are called to be part of that fire blazing across the world.

This fire begins with our baptism.  Jesus tells us about the baptism he is about to endure; here he refers to His Cross.  In our own baptism, we participate in His, because in Baptism, we die to our own self, our own will and we are reborn, made new; in new life and in God’s will!  As John the Baptist says elsewhere in the Scripture: baptized with fire & the Holy Spirit.

What about this division Jesus mentions, even pitting family member against family member?  Is not Jesus the Prince of peace?  Don’t we offer the peace of Christ to one another at this and every Mass?  Yet Jesus is right; there is division?  Quite frankly, this is a tough, difficult reminder to all of us that Jesus is our all in all.  We should always do our best to strive to Him, letting nothing hold us back from Jesus.  What if that which holds me back is my own family or friend?  What if it’s my child, my spouse, my parents, my best friend, my brother or sister?  What if it’s me; what if it’s me?!?  Will we power through such challenges and choose Jesus?  Surrendering all to choose Jesus; as wonderful and beautiful and necessary as this is; can produce division in our worldly lives.  Division can hurt, it stings.  But that division will be consumed by that purifying love of Jesus that refines and renews and restores and heals!

How can we give witness this week, and well into the future, to this Gospel when we leave here today?  Can we ask ourselves, am I consumed by the fire of His love, or am I consumed by the fire of this world?  Will I follow Jesus and not count the cost, or am I lukewarm and I don’t want to offend the “in crowd” even if it be my own family member or friend?  Will I allow the fire of Jesus to live in me by my fidelity to His Church, our Church, or will I be lukewarm and accept only those teachings I agree with, or those church teachings that do not offend my political or social sensibilities?  Will I live my life, consumed by the fire of Jesus’ love? 

One of those songs I mentioned earlier is “Fire and Rain” by James Taylor.  From his song we can hear this lyric:

“Wont you look down upon me Jesus, you’ve got to help me take a stand.”

Will we let Jesus help us take a stand?  Will we let the fire of Jesus consume our very being?  Oh, how I wish it was already blazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment