Sunday, August 25, 2013

Another special "weekend"

I really cherish my weekends because, in part, I grew up looking at weekends at that moment of refreshment and recreation from school and later from work.  I always seemed to have busy weekends so I'm also very accustomed to wondering where in the world the weekend went when we reach Sunday evening.

Both of these statements are so true on this summer Sunday night.  I longed for the weekend so I could put my secular job in the rearview mirror and embrace some time home with Wendy, but also so I could be actively involved in my passion, ministry related to being a Permanent Deacon for the Catholic Church in and of New Orleans.  Friday night gave me that chance to relax with my bride a little bit as we enjoyed a nice dinner together, caught up on our week that was and watch a movie together.  Saturday was all day ministry; out of the house before 7 AM and returning home past 4 PM.  The event for this particular Saturday was Kairos team training as our team continues to prepare for a mid October retreat.  As a member of clergy, I am the clergy lead for our team which includes a Methodist pastor and an Episcopal Deacon.  Our training this weekend prepared all of us for the actual happenings of the retreat to be and to preview 8 of the special talks that will be offered at the retreat.  We ended with a spiritual devotion that invited all of us to select our burdens and distractions and then give them over(lay them down) to Jesus at the foot of his cross.  It was a very beautiful and spiritual devotion.

Working with the Kairos team is a challenging opportunity that blends the gifts and talents, and occasionally obstacles too, of volunteers and clergy from several different Christian denominations.  We have volunteers from the Baptist, Episcopal, Catholic, Methodist, Evangelical, non-denominational Christianity and possibly a few more.  It's a necessary but difficult challenge but it is a sacrifice that truly makes Kairos work.  We show a great deal of love and respect for each other's beliefs without getting lost so much in that which is different and concentrating on bringing a loving caring message of Christ to the inmates who are, for purposes of this retreat, classified as un-churched.  Our motto or theme is Listen, Listen, Love, Love and it works.

When I completed my Kairos responsibilities for Saturday, I returned home to find my wife having tackled many home chores while trying to juggle delivery men and repair men as we anticipated a new washer, faster internet service and new satellite TV features.  Well, 1.5 out of 3 ain't bad!  She was tired and frustrated so it just seemed to me that dinner and desert were in order.  It was a nice change of pace!  But bedtime would have to come early for me on a Saturday night because 7 AM Sunday Mass comes early. 

Today I arose at 5:30 AM, got ready and drove to MHT to be the assisting Deacon at both 7 and 9 AM masses.  This morning was also our registration morning for the 2013-14 session of CCD.  It was good to see so many children and families around the Church today, some who have been away over the course of the summer.  As soon as my last Mass was done, my wife and I drove to New Orleans for a day-long session of inquiry and instruction for the 42 men and their wives who are inquiring about our next class of Deacon candidates, a group that would not be ordained until 2018.  At this stage today, these men are still inquiring and will not even make formal application until the spring of 2014.  For a Deacon, and his wife, this is a great opportunity to not only be of help in the inquiry sessions, but to relive and remember being in that same situation when we approached Inquiry.  For me and Wendy that would have been 2013, 10 years ago.  It was a wonderful day to be with these men and wives as well as the candidates and Deacons who were there, like Wendy and I were, to be present and lend a word of encouragement or lead group discussions.  A successful day done; we arrived home 6:30 PM.

So there is a degree of tiredness and the realization that work dawns anew tomorrow morning.  Where did the weekend go?  I will be ready for the challenge of Monday!

A quick side note; please don't misinterpret any thing as I've framed it above to indicate that I work all week(only) and am a Deacon for the Church on the weekend(only).  In my day job, I am a manager, I can be involved in any number of things any day, all the time.  Traditionally, I am at the office from 8-5, M-F, subject to change.  Equally important, I am not a part-time Deacon or only a Deacon on weekends or Sundays.  A Permanent Deacon is indeed ordained, indelibly marked; meaning a Deacon IS; as in he is a Deacon at home, at work, at play, 24-7, 365!!!  A Deacon does, per a schedule but he IS all the time.

So this Permanent Deacon is one tired but spiritually fulfilled and recharged man.  I'm going to wind down a little tonight spending time preparing for my next great adventure; our study of Revelation for the adult faith program at MHT.  An I'm praying for a good night's sleep and a productive Monday after a wonderful special weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment