Thursday, May 31, 2012

The end of yet another month; welcome to June

The passage of time is a subject that seems to interest me more and more with age.  I'm even aware that time seems to go by more quickly.  I would even go so far as to admot that even time spent relaxing goes by more quickly that I remember from bygone younger days.

So we arrive at yet the end of another month and press onward into the more summer time month of June.  For me, June ranks right up there with one of my least favorite months as, you should all know by now, I dislike summer temperatures and routines.  As a autumn-winter guy, which is no big deal here in the deep south, I truly look for these summer months to pass quickly.  Despite my desire that time march on, I will admit that every month, heck, every day, brings great joys and happiness, along with the challenges of life, that we should stop and enjoy or endure, experience and see God's plan in them.

On a personal note, June is the month of wedding anniversary; June 4th to be exact.  This year brings 35 years of marriage to my bride Wendy and yours truly.  June also brings the month of priestly ordinations, anniversaries and a far bit of other great events in the life of our very alive Church.  This Sunday, as we celebrate the Feast of the Most Holy Trinity, my own parish celebrates our namesake.  We celebrate with a great parish-family picnic.

This summer will be the first summer that both of my children will be working away from home.  James has been gone(N. Carolina) since 2003 so we are used to his abscence.  Elizabeth will be working at her graduate school in the neighboring state of Mississippi.  For Wendy and I, we will spend more time preparing for the birth of our 1st grandson(just 3 months to go) and working in our pleasantly surprising vegetable garden.

One last note, not to be a debbie-downer but a realist; but we in Louisiana become acutely aware that June ushers in hurricane season.  From now to November, we will cast a weary eye towards the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.  Can we all pray for a quiet, uneventful hurricane season.

For those of you who enjoy the beaches and the fun-in-the-sun thing, enjoy June with all your heart.  I'll enjoy it too, but you won't catch me at the beach.  Welcome to June; for this is the month the Lord has made!

No comments:

Post a Comment