Saturday, November 26, 2011

And with your spirit; the Deacon at the 1st Mass with the New Roman Missal

I assisted and survived!!  Tonight I assisted my first Mass as Deacon using the new Roman Missal at Most Holy Trinity Church in Covington, La.  We have prepared for months and we supplied all the pew cards and new missalettes but you just never know to you "go live".  So Mass begins and Fr. gives us the opening greeting and you could hear it: a combination of and also with you and the new and with your spirit.  Overall, not bad, because the new response was dominant.  Then we prayed the confetior, both Fr. and I used our booklet to be sure.  I must admit, hearing through my fault, through my fault, through my most grevious fault, sounded great!  The opening prayer(known as the collect) was so theologically rich.  After the readings and homily we stood to pray the "I believe" not the "we believe".  It did not sound like anyone had any problem with praying "consubstantial" or "incarnate".  We moved to the offertory and Fr. decided to chant the responses and the preface.  Everyone remembered "and with your spirit" and it is "right and just".  As we sang the Sanctus, no problems at all; why?  We have practiced this prayer for a month.  The beautiful words of the Eucharistic Prayer tonight just seemed richer, more spiritual.  As we moved along, everything was as before to we reached that important moment right before Communion.  We prayed tonight: Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, only say the word and my soul shall be healed.  Beautiful prayer; I did pick up some awkwardness here as I think everyone was looking at the Eucharist(as they should be) and forgot all the words without eyes on the missalette.

After communion we heard that beautiful prayer and for the dismissal I choose the option: Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life!

And it was over; our first Mass using the Roman Missal and we are all in one piece!! 

Maybe its just me but the Mass seemed more alive, the responses more robust and the language more reverent and liturgically rich.

Thanks Pope John Paul II for this new translation and Pope Benedict for bringing it to the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment