Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I got kicked out of prison tonight, really

I have often documented on these pages of my Wednesday night visits and weekend retreats at the Rayburn Prison.  On those Wednesdays when I'm by myself I preside over a communion service using the prayers and readings for the coming Sunday.  Tonight was one such night.  All proceeded as usual including the necessary interruption called "the count".  The count is how the prison keeps up with the inmate population when they are out on a call out, like going to prayer services or chapel.

But tonight there was a second count, then a third.  Now my homily is getting interrupted to the point of more than a mere distraction.  But we persevere.  We get to the Eucharist, and fortunately, all of the men were able to receive.  But has we concluded our prayerful period of silence after Holy Communion the men were instructed to return to the dorm rooms.  As for me, time to go.  Nicely and politely I was kicked out of prison.

I always comply fully, 100%, with the institution.  The count not being right means that for a period of time, they could not account for every inmate.  I guarantee you, that got rectified soon after I left.  But their attention to detail and faithfulness to procedure keeps the prison running properly and keeps guys like me safe.

So as the men lined up to go back to the dorms, I hurried a final blessing, packed my things and headed out to return home.

But I was there long enough to experience once again the presence of Christ behind bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment