Monday, June 27, 2011

The death of an inmate has impact on me

The news of the sudden and unexpected death of a state inmate would be of no consequence to me; once upon a time.  The phone call I received today would indeed have a profound effect on me.  One of the wardens at Rayburn wanted me to know that one of my faithful members of the Catholic community had died.  It appears to have been a heart attack while spending time in the yard on Sunday evening.

Respectful of all peoples involved in ministry at a prison I will just call him "Frank".  I met him back in 2007 when I was a candidate for the diaconate.  He was one of the "originals", as I refer to them; men who I met in 2007 and who I still minister to some 4 years later.  "Frank" may have been my first or second interview when I was in my clinical pastoral training, CPT for short.  He was very cordial and quick to share stories about his reformed life at Rayburn, his educational pursuits, his hobbies and most of all his renewed faith rooted in the Catholic Church!

He was always very friendly and welcoming and was particularly happy when I returned to Rayburn in 2009 as their chaplain.  We have shared many great conversations over these past 2+ years.  When I would visit the prison by day he would show me his activities in the education building or the hobby shop.  He loved to worship.  He would sing and pray every hymn and prayer.  He always volunteered to read the responsorial psalm in his own distinct accent.  He always availed himself to the sacrament of reconciliation.  Just last year he also participated in the first Kairos weekend that I worked as a volunteer.

News of his death has indeed impacted me.  I missed "Frank" last week as he did not attend our Wednesday night gathering.  That was odd in and of itself.  I am happy that just 2 weeks ago he did indeed go to reconciliation when Fr Pat visited.

Now what?  When an inmate dies at the correctional center his family is contacted and they can claim the body or refuse the body.  In the latter case, the state assumes responsibility for burial.  I do not know much about Frank's family.  He was mostly quiet on the matter.  Respect is a major part of prison ministry.  I don't ask or probe.  I listen and am present to the men.  Whatever they share is what we talk about.  I did find out today that "Frank" is going home for a funeral of some type.  I'm glad.  I hope he will have a Catholic Mass and someone who knows him well and speaks with a similiar accent will read the responsorial psalm.  He would love that.

For us left behind in our community of faith at Rayburn, we will have a memorial and a chance to remember.  I for one am thankful to God that "Frank" was in my life as he, and the other men, taught me so much about the human dignity in all of us.  We all are made in the image and likeness of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment