Sunday, May 29, 2011

I went to a Traditional Latin Mass today

The Traditional Latin Mass has come to the Northshore of the Archdiocese of New Orleans at a beautiful country church in the tiny village of Lacombe, La.  My schedule this weekend for diaconate ministry allowed me to be able to attend.  It dawned on me as I was traveling to the church that I can't remember the last time I went to a Mass using the 1962 missal.  I'm guessing that it has been close to 45 years, when I was but a boy, since I've been to anything other than the Novus Ordo.

The obvious was what struck me first: the prayers in Latin, the Priest facing the same direction as the congregation, the inaudible prayers of the Priest(it was a low mass) and so much more.  It was a beautifully celebrated Mass however for me, I seemed to be working overtime to keep up with the missal provided and I'm sure my latin pronunciation is in need of some improvement.  I actually found much of the Mass appealing: the Priest facing the same direction, especially during the sacrifice of the Mass, communion kneeling and the beautiful music of the choir.  Some things I miss from the Novus Ordo: no reading from the Old Testament, lack of paticipation from the laity, and no sign of peace.

I know that liturgy is not about what we like/dislike so please accept this as observations from a 1st timer.

I knew enough not to be surprised that the Gospel is read in both latin and english but was surprised that the Priest read the epistle in both languages.  For a "low" mass I was pleastanly surprised at the amount of the singing.  I also expected the final Gospel that comes after Mass is over.  I believe it is the same Gospel from St. John after every Traditional Latin liturgy.

I have been very heartened by the words of Pope Benedict XVI and the cardinals he has put out front in discussing his decision to allow a wider use of this Mass.  He has asked the Catholic faithful to not discount or criticize either the Novus Ordo, the ordinary form of the Mass or the Traditional Latin Mass, the extr-ordinary form of the Mass.  In fact, Pope Benedict asks us to look at it as one liturgy.  Why was this even necessary?  I'm sure many devotees of the Novus Ordo have made several claims about the Church going backwards, etc.  And I'm equally sure that many "traditionalist" have felt some degree of triumphalism over the new emphasis for the Latin Mass.  Unfortunatley, I have personally been told by devotees of the traditional Mass that it is far superior to the Novus Ordo.

Pope Benedict XVI could not be more clear.  Those who desire the Tradional Latin Mass are to make no comments criticizing the Novus Ordo, the reforms of Vatican II, etc.  They are to refrain from wild radical statements that no Pope has been valid since Pius XII.  Please understand: those who do these things are very, very few and far between.  And Pope BenedictXVI could also not be more clear, for those who desire the Novus Ordo and may not feel a tug to the Traditional Latin Mass, no negative comments as well.

Follow the Pope.  He celebrates the Novus Ordo.  He has given great life to the renewal of the Tradional Latin Mass.  Catholics should feel comfortable at either and should understand that in either Mass, they are celebrating the holy sacrifice of the Mass.

So, I'm glad I went today.  And yes, I may go back again.  And yes, I am very grateful that I have always experienced a reverent and holy celebration of the Mass, in both the Novus Ordo of most of my church going life and the Traditional Latin Mass I attended today!

Deo Gratias!

No comments:

Post a Comment