Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blessed Pope John Paul II Pray for Us

While most of the folks in this country rose early to view the royal wedding, my early morning came today.  I must admit I did not witness all of the event, as I fought fatigue from yesterdays working in the yard festival, but there I was watching the big event: the Beatification of beloved Pope John Paul II.  At the beginning of the Mass Pope Benedict reads a proclamation and declares John Paul "Blessed".  Now we, as devout Catholics, can go to him in pray to intercede for us and pray with us.

Blessed Pope John Paul II, as leader of the Church, did many great things and advanced Catholicism in unprecendented ways.  But for me, he was the Pope of my great return, the Pope of my restored life as a Catholic and the Pope of my period of discernment that led to my ordination in 2008.

This morning, before I even assist at my first Mass of the day, before I even step foot outside, I am tired beyond belief, just like last weekend, and it never felt better.

The Catholic faith that I share with many of you, over a billion of you worldwide, is the same faith that was present in the upper room, in the Garden of Gethsemene, on Calvary when Jesus gave up His spirit.  The Catholic faith that I share with many of you is the same faith that was witness to the Resurrection, that walked the road to Emmaus, that was present at the Ascension.  The Catholic faith that I share with many of you was alive with the Holy Spirit at Pentecost abd alive with the Holy Spirit even to this day.  Our faith has sustained the Church in each and every day, week, month, year, decade and century since time is counted in A.D.  This is the faith that you and I share with Blessed Pope John Paul II.

Blessed Pope John Paul II, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment