Monday, March 14, 2011

Diet Coke; what's the big deal?

So for Lent I have given up Diet Coke. Seems like no big deal. I must admit that Diet Coke is a big problem for me. I drink Diet Coke from early in the morning to late at night. A few years ago I found a store with a soda fountain that dispenses caffeine free diet coke; important for me becuase I react pretty violently to caffeine. So figuring it aint got sugar and it aint got caffeine drink up! I easily can drink over 100 ounces a day; easily! Obviously, addicted. And a doctor friend told me that even that much diet coke is bad. Bad on the kidneys and not all that great for diets too. Have you ever noticed that most of us drinking diet coke are, well, big. Too much soda can actually expand the stomach and make you feel not full.

Despite all the facts above, I drink away. As I approached Lent last week, I made a comittment to sacrifice my addiction to the diet soda and introduce myself to water. I did this for healthy reasons and sacrificial reasons too. If I were to be totally honest, diet coke is indeed the toughest thing to give up. Hands down!

So how am I doing 6 days into Lent? Actually, since 6 p.m. Mardi Gras night, not one sip of diet coke has passed my lips. And I am drinking tons of water. I also have been introduced to green tea. So far, so good. What makes it very good, for me at least, is that I am doing this in the spirit of Lent reminding myself that my sacrifice is tame compared to the sacrifice of Jesus to save me, a sinner. And my sacrifice is being done in conjunction with trying to focus on prayer, the readings of the Lenten season and my desire to give alms; in the form of time and talent and treasure too. I will be very focused on this in the coming days as I support the retreat at the Rayburn prison.

It's just diet coke, caffeine free at that. And yes, I do miss it and know if I take just one sip I will want more. But my pledge is to remain tough and stay strong and make this sacrifice work for His greater glory. And if it results in a small lifestyle change; all the better!

Good luck to all of you too on your Lenten journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment