Saturday, January 22, 2011

A week of amazing blessings

Every day, every week is a great gift from God. This past week was an amazing example of being acutely aware of His presence and His hand in everything. At the risk of sounding overwhelmed by being too busy, this week affirms for me the mantra of my homily last week: it's not what you do but who you are! Since from the who we are flows what we do, consider the many graced moments, some unique, some rather simple, that I was able to experience in just one week.

Sunday began weekend 2 at my new parish Most Holy Trinity. I assisted at three Masses that day, preaching at all three. The opportunity to preach on the Gospel of John and John the Baptist's declaration of Jesus as Lamb of God was one that helped me affirm the diaconate refrain of "being" to explain "doing". I also was able to sit with our confirmation students as they listened to three riveting testimonies about living pro-life. Very inspirational. And the very special event last Sunday was my final "see you later" at St. Jane's as friends and parishioners joined clergy and staff in wishing me well as I complete my ministry at St. Jane's. Now that is just Sunday.

Monday dawned and it was a day off thanks to our celebration of Martin Luther King Day. I spent some time that morning reflecting on this important day and listening to some programming on the holiday and our nations journey in improving race relations. At lunch time I was able to join one of the deacon candidates that I mentor, Andy, for lunch. As I recall my own formation, where my mentor helped me tremendously, I am hopeful that I can be a positive influence on those I mentor. Andy and I enjoyed a great lunch and more importantly, great conversation centered on Andy's journey in diakonia. That afternoon, just one day after leaving St. Jane's in formal ministry, I simply stopped by the Abita church and prayed. Peaceful!

Tuesday was an entire different set of circumstances. One of our older and dearer parishioners, Mr. Warren, passed away and Tuesday was his funeral at St. Jane's. Mr. Warren was a fixture at church, a true faithful and prudent servant. He was a Marine and a former seminarian. He lived most of his life as a bachelor until later in life he married his soulmate, Ms. Yolanda, who passed away some five years ago. Mr. Warren was a wonderful living example of preaching the Gospel always, by his word and his deeds. After we said farewell, I joined a few parishioners for coffee before heading off to work. The evening brought a pleasant invitation to dine with one of my deacon classmates, Paul, and his family before we headed off to class. Several of us are taking a class in Tribunal training this spring. Dinner at Paul's was delicious but more importantly it was a great opportunity to catch up with a great classmate who has valiantly fought a winning battle with a recent health setback. He remains always in my prayers.

On Wednesday it was lunch with the Archbishop at a deanery meeting. He was gracious with his time and sharing as he informed the priests and deacons from our area with the latest information from the Archdiocese. As a deacon, it is important to spend time with the Archbishop, as we are configured to service through him. It was a great afternoon. Then in the evening, our three month experiment in diaconate community building continued as all the deacons, wives and candidates from our deanery gathered for evening prayer and food and fellowhip. Three for three; it was a rousing success.

Tonight brought a first time experience for my wife and I. We agreed to be part of the interview team so Wendy and I drove to New Orleans to interview an applicant couple, and get to know them. It is always a humbling and affirming experience when men, guided by their faith, consider the possibility of a call to the vocation of deacon.

Along the way this week are the everyday moments that seem so ordinary but are always extraordinary. Every day I help clients at work and some experiences are awesome experiences. I had several of those in the week that was. I took time to enjoy the friendship of one of my best friends this week. I got to know a new co-worker. I visited with a homeless man on the corner. I talked to my daughter on the phone; full of excitement at her new adventure of being a student-teacher in a big time high school. And I both missed my wife dearly when she spent a night out of town, and thrived in her company when she returned.

And in praying my morning and evening prayers, in reflecting on the lives of all those who have asked me to pray for them, in the simple encounters with all the children of God that He placed in front of me this week, in my own who I am which results in what I do, I was made aware of His amazing presence in my life and His amazing blessings and graces He showers on me.

My prayer for all of us in the week ahead: may we be more fully aware of His presence in our lives and make us present to be available to all those He calls us to love and serve. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment